Face versus Legs

Switcher 15:44 06 Dec 08

Selina Scott has reached a settlement with channel Five after launching legal action over age discrimination. The settlement is rumoured to be £250,000.

What price a soldier's legs. At least £25m on this scale.

Cymro. 15:58 06 Dec 08

Not a very good comparison though is it.
Mind you I suppose that if I was the said soldier I would also be very angery about it.

Forum Editor 16:04 06 Dec 08

between a case of age discrimination and a soldier's legs?

tullie 16:09 06 Dec 08

And whos Selina Scott?

Forum Editor 16:49 06 Dec 08

She was once a very famous newsreader, and was "the face of BBC Breakfast" when it began in 1983.

She's 56 years old, and she still scrubs up pretty well, as you'll see if you click here

Switcher 16:53 06 Dec 08

F.E.

The comparison is the amount of compensation paid over age discrimination versus the compensation paid to our forces following horrific injuries.
I thought that was obvious.

Forum Editor 17:27 06 Dec 08

is the amount of compensation paid over age discrimination versus the compensation paid to our forces following horrific injuries.
I thought that was obvious."

Errrmm....

The compensation paid to Selena Scott was the result of an out of court settlement by a commercial company - presumably because it (the company) was advised that if it lost the court case its costs would be even higher. Such cases are settled in this way quite often, and there's not the slightest 'obvious' connection with government payments to injured members of the armed forces.

Coffee Adict 18:25 06 Dec 08

To me its as much about breach of contract as age discrimination, especially if it is true she turned down other work thereby losing income. Not my most favourite of presenters all the same.

tullie 20:21 06 Dec 08

Lets say £16,000 a year,but not to start with.

Switcher 22:13 06 Dec 08

I happen to think that, on what ever basis compemsation is paid, the loss of a soldier's legs is worth more than some female being subject to age discrimination. Then again we all have our own values. I'll stick no mine. As to the suggestion about starting a new political party, what a vacuous comment !!

tullie 23:03 06 Dec 08

Theres really no conflict,one is a commercial company,the other the government.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5