F1 to return to BBC

Colin 11:23 20 Mar 08

click here

I thought ITV's coverage was good, but as Bernie Ecclestone says in the article, he thinks that the BBC will do it better. Does he mean no adverts? That really irritates me about the F1 coverage, especially when they come on at a dramatic point in the race. I recall Silverstone a few years ago when a spectator got onto the track and just as the cameras picked him up; they went straight to the adverts. I appreciate that they are a commercial television company, but Sky show films, (some longer than an F1 race), without interruption. And as for those daft little Honda pieces at the start and end of the advert breaks last season – I think they had the opposite effect of promoting Honda, as to me, they were just delaying getting back to the race.

Quickbeam 11:58 20 Mar 08

Something behind the scenes that we're not privy to 'yet' I reckon.

techie4me 12:09 20 Mar 08

ITV have been good in what they have produced, but the ad breaks sometimes come at a cruical time!
It's a massive boost for the BBC, but who will they get to do the commentary?
F1 back where it should be on the BBC!

Al94 12:16 20 Mar 08

Bring back Murray Walker!

interzone55 12:46 20 Mar 08

I do like some of Martin Brundle's pieces about how the cars work, but I can't abide the way they talk to the micro-celebrities on the track before the race - what insight can the vacuous Dannii Minogue provide into the world of F1.

Let's see what Auntie can do, just don't bring back Murray Walker, he's too old and his only real contribution was to provide entries from Private Eye's Colemanballs "Excuse me while I interrupt myself" and "Two laps before the action starts, unless it's already started" being a couple of examples.

ventanas 12:52 20 Mar 08

Whatever its costing its an absolute waste of money. Why the hell don't they try and get the cricket back. That's something worth paying for.
As you will gather, where I live there is no Sky reception or cable.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:56 20 Mar 08

Back to a decent theme tune?

Hope the BBC will use Fleetwood Macs' "The Chain" again as their theme for the F1.

interzone55 16:17 20 Mar 08

Formula One has a massive worldwide audience that's close to 1 billion people for every race - cricket can't even touch that.

Besides I much prefer TMS to watching cricket on TV...

ventanas 16:31 20 Mar 08

Each to his own I suppose, I'd rather watch paint dry though.

rawprawn 17:57 20 Mar 08

Come on John,this season is going to be great and I suspect BBC will pull in viewers from all over the world. Louis Hamilton has captured the hearts of the whole world not just the Brits.

rawprawn 18:00 20 Mar 08

PS. I also like cricket, however our national England team needs to get it's act together. I am not saying that from an Aussie point of view.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…