Exposed: Repair Shops Hack Your Laptops

ajm 09:56 22 Jul 09
  Quickbeam 10:01 22 Jul 09

This must be the new dodgy garage scam...

interzone55 10:10 22 Jul 09

It's been going on for years.

The service centre I worked in had a server full of music and movies taken from customers computers, but we didn't do anything dodgy like accessing the personal document folders.

The only time we would look in there is if we had to copy data off the drive before reformatting.

I have to say that we sometimes had to use various dodgy techniques to hack into systems when customers refused to give us passwords. They didn't seem to realise that we had to boot up systems in order to test them - a little like starting a car engine to find faults if you want to continue Quickbeam's garage analogy...

peter99co 10:22 22 Jul 09

One to Email friends about?

interzone55 11:59 22 Jul 09

That's how a lot of paedophiles have been found out.

Whilst I was on PC repair we had two similar cases, one idiot actually had a picture of a naked toddler on his desktop in a none too innocent pose.

In another the police arrived with a picture off the net with some of our boxes stacked in the background. They'd enhanced the pictures CSI style and wanted us the scan the barcode off the label to get the customer info.

Both customers got jail time.

We had a procedure in place if we found potentially offensive material. We had to immediately shut the PC down and report it to the legal department. The police would arrive and remove the drive. This would be cloned by the IT team and the original drive returned to the PC. They would then take the PC and the cloned drive to the Police forensics lab....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017