Expired road tax disc

Mary_S 11:55 07 Mar 10

Dear All,
My road expired at the end of december last year, but i recieved my new road tax by the time the old one expired. As i went on holiday in january i did not change the old tax disc to the new one. i came back home the other day, and i forgot that i still had to change the road tax disc. i went for a drive yesturday in the eveing and came back home without any ticket being issued on the car. when i came back home i realised that i sill had to change the tax disc and did so immediately. I did escape a ticket on the road, but im just wondering if a camera picked up my disc and noticed that i had a expired tax disc displayed. Could I be in trouble, or do they check the registration plate to confirm whether i have valid road tax. Please inform me thanks.

spuds 12:03 07 Mar 10

The DVLA will have all the information, that the vehicle was perhaps taxed and 'road legal'. Your number plate and vehicle would be the possible deciding factor of whether the vehicle was taxed, insured, MOTed and 'road legal, and not some perhaps hidden camera.

Change the disc now, before you forget, or you might perhaps get a reminder from a council parking attendant;o)

jack 12:09 07 Mar 10

disk was an offence- not with standing - 'Sorry Officer it fell off and was on the floor whilst i was away from the vehicle'

All this was before DVLA- Computerized data etc., so could could a 'Jobsworth' still lay it on I wonder?

Quickbeam 12:15 07 Mar 10

ANPR camera detection works by comparing every number read with the DVLA records click here not by identifying a valid windscreen disc.

As far as I know it remains an offence to not to display a valid disc.

Colin 12:26 07 Mar 10

Now that road tax and insurance can be confirmed online, what is the point of a tax disc or having to present an insurance certificate to the Police if requested? A "producer" I think is the common term. A road tax disc is quite a complex item with its hologram and the cost to produce them can't be pennies - maybe they keep a lot of people in jobs?

Colin 12:27 07 Mar 10

I meant to add the MOT certificate as well.

spuds 12:31 07 Mar 10

It still remains an offence, but this would be governed as to whether the vehicle was on 'public property'. In the 'old days' it was the duty of an 'authorised' person (Police officer or Traffic Warden) to issue a CL2/6, then notify the DVLA, usually via the local office.

Not sure how it works with Council Parking Attendants nowadays, since the took over some of the previous duties of the Police Authorities.

We also have SORN, which seems to work!.

As to whether a prosecution would take place is another thing ;o)

Forum Editor 13:06 07 Mar 10

if you fail to display the Tax disc; the fact that you might have paid for it is irrelevant as far as that offence is concerned. There have been many test cases, and on each occasion that I know of a conviction for failure to display has been upheld on appeal.

Mary_S 13:11 07 Mar 10

so in case i was spotted in a camera last night, i could be fined for not displaying the correct road tax disc (which i believe is £80) but cannot be charged for for evading road tax , as they have it on their system that i have indeed payed my road tax ??

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:15 07 Mar 10

Relax

The cameras won't spot a missing tax disk.

As you haven't been spotted by the police or a traffic warden you've been lucky.

ronalddonald 15:05 07 Mar 10

Mary they cant touch you so long as you put the new tax disc on. If the police had stopped you or a ticket man came along and noticed you hadnt displayed the correct tax disc they could just fine you for it that's all. However if you drove around without a valid tax disc in force, the police would have the right to confiscate your vehicle and have it destroyed after 7 days until you get the disc sorted out

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…