Exam Story on the BBS

bstb3 16:32 30 Jun 08

*Warning - the link is to the bbc website but the story does (or at least did) contain a two letter phrase, in context, that some people might find offensive*

Had to get that out of the way first, and to those not likely to be offended, then please read on :)

click here

My point isnt really about the story itself, that seems another fairly self explanatory case of examiners gone mad, but about the way the BBC reports on it, in particular its decision to report the offending phrase without prior warning.

Personally I wasnt offended, just surprised to see it on the BBC website without warning / censorship. Were they right to do this?

bstb3 16:32 30 Jun 08

duh, title should read BBC - I guess I failed :(

peter99co 17:07 30 Jun 08

An example of a two fingered salutation. Should go far.

spikeychris 17:23 30 Jun 08

I have just made enquiries on the internal BBC gateway; if you are genuinely interested as to why the BBC printed the full term I should have an answer for you by tomorrow.

Chris

interzone55 21:41 30 Jun 08

This is definitely the first time I've seen that word on the BBC website, but I think it has been printed in the same way that The Guardian prints swear words.

The story is about shocking words, so the BBC has every right to print it, and I'd say that the headline gives a clue to the content.

I took my English Language O'level in 1985, and we were advised that if an expletive was in context then we could use it, so to be honest this is nothing new.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017