A ew sort of spam/scam/fisch?

jack 08:34 17 Sep 09

An e-mail from 'Abbey' thanking me for paying £12 or so to an - address given- then more blurb that it will appear in my 'account' shortly deda deda dea

As I do not have an Abbey account- I could not have paid any one any thing
So what is the point of this one?

Needless to say it did not proceed any further than the 'trash bin'

dagbladet 09:49 17 Sep 09

"So what is the point of this one?"

You answered that in your thread title.

jack 10:51 17 Sep 09

It seemed pointless.
A 'Bank' with whom I have no business thanking me for making a payment to somebody I equally have had no business [It turns out to be an E-Bay trader called click here]
So if it is fisching or some other - I didn't see the point and wondered if any of you out there could shed some light?

dagbladet 10:57 17 Sep 09

I'm not sure specifically. I get a fair few. Sometimes a couple a week, then maybe a surge of a couple of dozen. I assume it's where my e-mail address has been passed/sold on. Perhaps the scammer is hoping for you to respond and query the transaction, with a view to extract account info from you. Like you I just bin them straight away, without opening them.

I get less since I opened a 'junk mail' adress to use for buying online or registering for sites etc.

peter99co 14:57 17 Sep 09

Have you tried Mailwasher yet? Catch all these in the server before download.

jack 15:02 17 Sep 09

Mailwasher I have
This item was in my ISP spam box- which I look at from time to time to ascertain that nothing I really want had got itself in-there.

ened 16:04 17 Sep 09

I'm only guessing but maybe it is the prelude to the scam.

Maybe in a few days there will be a follow up requesting your details to rectify an overpayment...?

As I said only guessing.

bjh 16:45 17 Sep 09

Point is, you may not have an account with bank XXX, but they send out a few million of these mails. A small percentage of recipients will have said bank account....

With the ones that quote a recent Ebay purchase, say, you may not have made a recent purchase, but amongst the many that receive the mail, some will have done so.

Overall, a very, very small percentage may fit the pattern, and even fewer will fall for the "give your details" bit... but it only needs a couple to make the sender a fair ... (erm... misuse of that word) profit.

I did receive one a few months back, about half an hour after filling in a Paypal dispute. It was titled something like... Re: your dispute... I was irritable, angry, and nearly, nearly started to click on the link before it twigged that it was pure coincidence.

For someone less computerate/more irritated, a few keystrokes is all it would take!!!

mr simon 17:57 17 Sep 09

It sounds to me like a different plan of attack. Too many people are used to the 'update details' trick and many people, unlike yourself, will be curious as to what this £12 was for, especially if they have a bank account with Abbey. They could write the most nonsensical garbage with a link on it, and still there are people who would click it.

morddwyd 21:38 17 Sep 09

To answer your original question in the title, no it is not a new scam.

Your ISP knows this which is why it ended in your spam folder without your intervention.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced