Every user should be worried

Boghound 07:59 30 Sep 10

COICA

In the United States, a new law proposal called The Combating Online Infringement and Counterfeits Act (COICA) was introduced last week, and there will be a hearing in front of the Judiciary Committee this Thursday.

If passed, this law will allow the government, under the command of the media companies, to censor the internet as they see fit, like China and Iran do, with the difference that the sites they decide to censor will be completely removed from the internet and not just in the US.

click here

Respective Governments in Europe are now stepping up a similar campaign to control the "web". In France the Government are starting to send out IP address demands to ISP's, in October, with a threat of a €1500 fine for every address not complied with. If the "three strikes" rule is acted upon this will mean that a whole family, not just the person concerned, will effectively be without access to the "net" for a year.....It's about time the People stood up to be counted and take back these Governments to put democracy back where it belongs.

spuds 17:09 30 Sep 10

" put democracy where it belongs".

Very little chance of that!!.

Boghound 08:07 01 Oct 10

How true Spuds....Oh how so true

jack 10:39 01 Oct 10

What is democracy ?
The right for individuals to say/do what THEY like with impunity?
Of course there must be sanctions against those that offend the public at large.
Trouble is who is to decide what is allowable or not.
Some one somewhere will feel aggrieved by having an activity curtailed by law.

Boghound 10:56 01 Oct 10

Government by the people; a form of government in which the supreme power is vested in the people and exercised directly by them or by their elected agents under a free electoral system.

Which in principal works....Until those elected take it upon themselves to come up with "hairbrained" schemes that only benefit them and their lobbyists.....

Before someone says "that the course of action is in the ballot-box".....It is often too late to change laws that have been embedded in stone!!!

Forum Editor 17:27 01 Oct 10

to come up with "hairbrained" schemes that only benefit them and their lobbyists....."

I take it you think the idea of protecting the rights of copyright holders is a 'harebrained scheme' - would that be about right?

I also take it that you are not a copyright holder; that you've never slaved over the creation of a song, a piece of music, a play, a book, or any other form of original work?

Further, I take it that you think your 'rights' are more important than other peoples' - is that about right?

If you really knew what you were talking about you certainly wouldn't be writing all this absolute nonsense: "It's about time the People stood up to be counted and take back these Governments to put democracy back where it belongs." and you would post complete rubbish such as:

"this law will allow the government, under the command of the media companies, to censor the internet as they see fit, like China and Iran do"

I recommend a bit of research into copyright law, and a bit of reflection over what it must be like to see things that you have worked very hard to create being stolen by people who couldn't care less about you, or your rights in law.

finerty 21:18 01 Oct 10

Are you saying this law cant be manipulated to fit ones ideas on how to censor ie the police censoring about a death etc.

GANDALF <|:-)> 21:18 01 Oct 10

You both clearly have no idea about copyright and how it provides income for the legal owners. I suggest that you do a little bit of reading before you make complete fools of yourselves on an Internet forum. /sigh

G

spuds 21:32 01 Oct 10

Please take time and read what I stated. I made no mention of copyright, only a reference about democracy. Perhaps you didn't quite understand that, before you made one of your usual remarks?. Double sigh.

Forum Editor 22:51 01 Oct 10

but what does democracy have to do with this?

Boghound 07:56 02 Oct 10

In reply to the "Editor"...Yes on all accounts!!

In reply to "Gandolf" ....One should really not be so forthright about a poster's life without knowing the poster personally...Yes...I have a great knowledge of copyright, owning many, but don't agree with the holder's obtaining an income off it for a lifetime!

You see....this is democracy at work but suppose a "hairbrained politician" decided that PCA was spreading decent through it's forums and put it on the "blacklist"....I bet you and the "editor" would soon be showing decent in the ranks then..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced