Ever More Devious

morddwyd 09:02 24 Dec 10

Is there no end to scammers' ingenuity?

I've just had one from the "Failed Hip Replacement Compensation Scheme"!

morddwyd 09:06 24 Dec 10

Whoops!

Don't know why three's two.

Must be a special offer for Christmas!

morddwyd 09:58 24 Dec 10

Yeah, right.

And if I just send them my bank details they'll credit me with my share of the compensation fund.

Forum Editor 10:23 24 Dec 10

for patients with failed DePuy hip joints to take a class action against the manufacturers - this joint has been showing a high rate of failure.

It's a metal to metal joint, and what happens is that as the joint wears small fragments of Chromium and Cobalt debris become dislodged, and enter the patient's muscle tissue, causing inflammation and pain. The resulting reversal operation also results in considerable pain.

Spamming people at random is hardly going to do the serious campaign much good, however.

sunnystaines 10:46 24 Dec 10

i always thought they were a combination of metal against plastic to prevent wear rather than metal to metal, unless these are ops froms ages ago..

Forum Editor 11:29 24 Dec 10

It's complicated.

Metal on metal joints have an excellent performance record, especially those with a larger ball and cup - stress on the joint is distributed over a larger surface area. One of the problems with direct metal to metal joints is that as the person walks there are percussive 'heel strikes' which are transmitted directly to the bone surrounding the joint spike.

For this reason manufacturers started making joints with a metal to polyethylene interface, the polyethylene acting as a shock absorber to some extent.

Both types of joint produce wear debris, but polyethylene debris doesn't result in the higher levels of chromium and cobalt in the blood stream that is recorded in cases of metal to metal joint patients.

A further problem is that the cobalt-chromium ally that's used to make the joints can't be machined - it work hardens very rapidly - so it must be cast, and that's a very complex and costly business for such precision joints. A better method is sintering, whereby the alloy components are pressed together at very high temperatures under very high pressure. This produces a good-quality joint, but the process reduces the hard-wearing capacity of the joint, shortening its life somewhat.

I told you it was complicated.

spuds 11:57 24 Dec 10

Another problem is the fact that there might not be enough 'surrounding bone' area to successfully attach the replacement hip joint.

My brother had a number of hip joint replacements, using various types and methods. His last replacement was a case of having it done,waking up, being taken back to his bed, being placed in the bed, informing the nurse that "something is wrong", she saying "no there isn't". My brother then waiting for the doctor, with the end results of back to the operating table for extra remedial work to secure the remaining bone socket to the hip joint.

Must have been one of the fastest double hip joint replacements that day ?.

morddwyd 21:26 24 Dec 10

"There is a worldwide campaign for patients with failed DePuy hip joints to take a class action against the manufacturers"

There's a nationwide campaign about claiming overpaid income tax back too, but sending your bank details by e-mail is not part of that one either!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…