Eurovision Human rights abuses

interzone55 13:50 21 Dec 11

Some people may think that Eurovision is a crime against humanity in its own right, but it seems that in order to get a new concert hall built in Azerbaijan for next year's contest, the rights of the people currently living at the site are way down the list of priorities.

BBC link

Aitchbee 15:26 21 Dec 11

I guess that's why the songs are so BAD, as no country wants the responsibility of hosting the contest if they win.

Nil points is a good score!

spuds 17:00 21 Dec 11

This sort of Human Rights issue (or State Evictions) are nothing new in a supposed civilised world.

It even happens here in the UK, perhaps under the banner of Compulsory Purchase?.

And as for the Eurovision and voting. Perhaps its now gone past its sell by date?.

interzone55 17:16 21 Dec 11

spuds

Compulsory purchase here generally takes a long while to wend its way through the legal system, and doesn't normally involve switching off the utilities two weeks before you vacate the property.

I remember about 20 years ago, I was shacking up with some mates in a rented apartment in Runcorn. The whole block belonged to the YMCA who sub-let it out to students working at the ICI plant in Darsbury.

Anyway the whole estate was due to be flattened at the end of the summer, so we all had to move out by the end of August.

The site TV licence ran out at the end of July, so the YMCA staff removed all the TVs from the flats, which was nice of them. As our TV had already been stolen twice we had bolted it to the concrete floor, so they just put a hammer through the screen to stop us watching TV without a licence.

Come removal day the demolition team moved in at 7am, and started levelling a block that was already empty with one of those big ball things, this made the job of taking pictures off the wall easy, as the first swing of the ball brought them all down, along with the plates from the cupboards, and spelt an early demise for any Ikea furniture...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

Disney layout supervisor Rob Dressel on the challenges of visualising Moana

Siri vs Google Assistant