Eurovision 2009

pchelper001 20:01 03 Jan 09

Terry Wogan left the commentary of Eurovision because of the 'fixing' that the Countries were doing. They were all voting for their friends rather than the talent in the performances. From my perspective, Andrew Lloyd Webber has now set out across Europe on 'Your Country Needs You' and from my perspective, to fix it himself, as he is asking (sometimes pleading) for the other countries to put in a vote for us without even having a song yet?! Surely this is very hypocritical of the BBC.

Any thoughts?

pchelper001 20:02 03 Jan 09

Sorry about that, Safari decided to crash ;)

Clapton is God 20:24 03 Jan 09

Er, we're talking about the Eurovision Song Contest aren't we?

Who cares??

Yawn

laurie53 07:59 04 Jan 09

Well the title did give a reasonable clue as to what the thread was about.

If you don't care why read it, let alone reply?

Quickbeam 09:18 04 Jan 09

He's always commented that that is the case as long as he's done the show, it's just that now they take the governments global political policies to heart... we're not globally popular anymore.

But as for Eurovision itself, it's very much another 'reached and past it's watch by date' programme, only that date was over 30 years ago, bin it...

newman35 10:04 04 Jan 09

BBC will not bin it as long as it attracts big audiences.
Be interesting to see what effects the new 'presenter' will have - but again, personally, I don't ever watch. But everyone has different taste, so good luck to them.

Forum Editor 12:16 04 Jan 09

Well, seeing as you asked, and as you obviously don't know much about what goes on outside our own borders I'll tell you - in Europe millions of people care very much.

I go to Moscow fairly often, and whenever the song contest crops up in conversation I'm astounded at the level of interest and enthusiasm, especially amongst the younger people. I have a colleague who is Polish, and he says in his country it's one of the big events of the year - it's hugely popular, and taken very seriously. He says that when his country was a Communist regime the ordinary people saw the Eurovision song contest as a perfect example of what democracy meant - the freedom to write and perform songs for a huge audience without any fear of repression or artistic control by the state.

It's easy for us to sit back in the security of our cosy democratic country, with our history of freedom from personal and artistic oppression, and smugly say 'who cares', but the fact is throughout Europe hundreds of millions of people care, and once upon a time we did, too. Now it seems that we've become a nation of dull, cynical whingers, too lazy to bother about much except carping endlessly about almost anything which involves a bit of effort and ingenuity.

If we put our musical minds to it we could win the next Eurovision - we have a wealth of talent just waiting to be given the chance. I for one think that Andrew Lloyd Webber might actually stand a chance of pulling this off, and if he did our standing in the eyes of many European countries would rocket overnight. As it is, lots of Europeans think we're a bit of a joke.

pcmags 13:14 04 Jan 09

The UK gets the political backlash of the governments foreign policy in Eurovision. Once it was all about just the song, now it's more about whether you like the other country or if you trade with them.

Eurovision is a dying breed and really is even less likely to be watched without Wogans roving eyes on the events happening on the night!

Forum Editor 13:41 04 Jan 09

Really? I think you must be talking about some other contest - the Eurovision song contest has always seen countries supporting each other, and for various reasons - just look at Malta's voting record if you want any confirmation of that.

Cross-border loyalties are inevitable, and no amount of effort on the part of the organisers is going to change that. What can change is that the UK can raise its game by many notches, and come up with a song and a singer that will override some national voting tendencies. People like anthemic, blood-stirring songs, and they'll vote for them if they're good enough, regardless of other considerations.

Cymro. 13:53 04 Jan 09

Never have I agreed more with you than I have with your first post above.

This line
"Now it seems that we've become a nation of dull, cynical whingers, too lazy to bother about much except carping endlessly about almost anything which involves a bit of effort and ingenuity".
and then this
"As it is, lots of Europeans think we're a bit of a joke."

Unfortunately far too much of the winging and carping goes on at this forum and that is no joke.

pchelper001 16:40 04 Jan 09

Apologies if my post sounded like I was 'winging and carping', I was merely interested to find out what everyone else's views on the subject were.

I agree with FE on the scale of Eurovision, it really is a key part to many European countries and their relationships with others.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now