EU law/rules - a question

johndrew 12:08 20 Aug 10

I watched the news last evening where the French are 'evicting' Roma gypsies apparently under an EU rule that says something like, 'all EU citizens are permitted to reside/work in any EU state but that after three months that state may require them to obtain a permit to continue to reside/work'.

Is this correct or did I misunderstand the report?

GANDALF <|:-)> 13:12 20 Aug 10

Heartened to see the French not messing about.

G

peter99co 13:16 20 Aug 10

Maybe we should employ some French Advisors in the new Government to show how it is done?

johndrew 14:31 20 Aug 10

Thanks all for coming back.

fourm member
I presume from your response that the rules used are French rather than EU. Presumably this means the Roma have a claim under Human Rights as these are enshrined as EU law rather than French? This even though they are classed as 'illegals'.

GANDALF <|:-)> & peter99co
I agree with you both. If the French - as 'leaders' within the EU - can dispose of unwanted, troublesome illegals even though they claim to be 'at risk' in their own country, why can't our politicians tell the Judiciary in this country to get off the case and do the same. It's costing us a fortune not disposing of those who pose a risk to security and those who are known criminals who may be punished for crimes committed in their own countries.

johndrew 14:46 20 Aug 10

We may not have as severe a problem with Roma as France at the moment, but from interviews it would appear many want to come to the UK now they are being booted out.

We also have problems with 'Travellers' many of whom are not UK passport holders.

This is not to mention other known groups who traffic people (often women and children) for illegal functions.

If this three month rule is enshrined in EU law we should use it to send those who would usurp our country back where they came from.

Quickbeam 15:05 20 Aug 10

So human rights don't override all other rules after all.

johndrew 16:15 20 Aug 10

Only in the UK perhaps??

morddwyd 19:59 20 Aug 10

"why can't our politicians tell the Judiciary in this country to get off the case "

They can, but they won't.

The politicians make the laws, not the judiciary.

The judiciary simply apply the laws that the politicians make.

The fact that those laws are silly is nothing to do with the judiciary!

sunnystaines 08:20 21 Aug 10

any way over here we could round up travellers and deport them back to eire?

johndrew 09:55 21 Aug 10

Perhaps this is a case for all those who see what is truly happening to our country to stand up, contact their MPs and ask that action be taken. I see no other, legal, way of resolving the issues.

In France it appears to have moved in this direction with Sarkozy either being pushed or seeing what his country needed - perhaps the attack on police being the final straw. I wonder what it will take here. Many of our MPs and judiciary are so detached from the real world it may take them being directly involved to cause a re-think.

anchor 12:58 21 Aug 10

France is not alone.

Italy deported about 10,000 Roma last year, and continue to do so this year.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac