Eric Sykes dies at 89Yrs!

Nontek 11:10 AM 04 Jul 12

A sad loss, they don't make them like that any more!

Condolences to his family!

Aitchbee 11:18 AM 04 Jul 12

I liked his 'dead-pan' humour, especially in his TV sitcoms with Hattie Jacques.Goodbye Eric.

HondaMan 11:20 AM 04 Jul 12

Yes, I agree. He was a great actor but, like a lot of others of his generation, very much underrated

Nontek 11:25 AM 04 Jul 12

I like the fact that he, and other comedians of his ilk, did not have to use foul language to make me laugh!

birdface 11:25 AM 04 Jul 12

Yes I agree a very funny man.

My favorite was the Plank,I hope they show a few of his old programs on TV this weekend to commemorate his Life on TV and in Films.

Looks like he had a good innings and I am sure we will remember him for a long time.

Bye Eric.

Bingalau 12:20 PM 04 Jul 12

buteman. As you have written word for word what I was going to write, I can only add "God bless" and hope he gives them as much laughter up there as he has down here.

Quickbeam 12:36 PM 04 Jul 12

I liked him a lot, but I have to admit, I thought he'd died over 20 years ago!

Quickbeam 12:38 PM 04 Jul 12

His best serious part was as Terry Thomas' sidekick Monty Carlo or Bust.

morddwyd 12:58 PM 04 Jul 12

Also as the same sidekick in "Magnificent Men", but The Plank has got to be the all time favourite.

Aitchbee 13:47 PM 04 Jul 12

Eric and Peter Sellers were the original workmen pencilled in for The Plank, but Sellers had to jet off to Hollywood for a starring role he could not refuse. Eric writes in his autobiography:-

"...I was in the doldrums on a sailboat. Who could possibly replace Peter Sellers? But again I metaphorically lifted the dustbin lid and there was a yellow gleam of a daffodil. A name flashed in front of my mind, and two days later Tommy Cooper reported for duty. He was to take over from Peter and what an inspirational choice it was."

Taken from "If I Don't Write It, Nobody Else Will"...

It's a great read. (Eric won't mind me saying that).

Chegs ®™ 13:56 PM 04 Jul 12

One of the few comedians of the older generation I found funny,though The Plank doesn't even raise a smile from me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Rugby World Cup 2015 online: Watch live, catch up on-demand & stream the 2015 Rugby…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to watch Adobe Max 2015: See Adobe unveil new Creative Cloud features for Photoshop,…

Live Photo tips: How to take Live Photos on the iPhone 6s, how to view, share, edit and find Live…