Ending up with nasties on your computer or laptop!.

spuds 11:48 20 Sep 14
Answered

The computing public are constantly being told to beware of what you are downloading, and 'all' security measures must be in place.

Having downloaded in a package a 'nastie' (Insta Share Ads) from what I would once regarded a reputable download website (tuocows), got me thinking if those who infect our computers are getting more savvy, or whether we are getting more sloppy.

What's your views?.

Would mention that Insta Share Ads seems to take over the computer/laptops etc with survey advertisement offering free gifts. It can also change content displays. What was surprising with this, is that the surveys appear to come from the websites which you are visiting, which might easily lead to a false stage of security or trust (ie PCAdvisor/Ebay etc)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:55 20 Sep 14

Downloading anything nowadays is risky, the old "trusted websites" have gone and most download packages have "extras" you don't want.

I downloaded something from Ninite "We say NO to toolbars or other junk" but still contained a PUP (detected by Avast) I couldn't get rid of prior to installing.

A good program for getting rid of PUPs is ADWCleaner safe from Bleeping Computer.

spuds 13:20 20 Sep 14

ADWCleaner is certainly a good product, and well worth trying, even for a check on your system. I have used it a number of times, but it is one of those products, that you might need to do further in removing the problem. its not a one-click all solution in some cases.

But this comes back to my original question. Are we getting 'sloppy' or are the developers of these programmes getting more savvy.

One thing that is of concern to me at least, is how the developers are able to latch onto downloads from once very reputable websites, yet the download websites seem restrictive of what they do or can do, in prevention.

Another factor that I have recently noticed, when downloading, is to check whether you have been redirected to another download website, usually if the download give the options of paid or free. The free version might end with a suspect download website, and then you might need to search for a more reliable download website if you still want the 'free' product.

john bunyan 13:23 20 Sep 14

a blacklist of sites that do that maybe a good idea

Such a blacklist would constantly need updating. Maybe a list of sites that do not add unwanted stuff would be smaller and easier to police as such folk would not like to be taken off such an "approved" list.

spuds 13:25 20 Sep 14

"You used to get details like that before if any site was known to install malware."

I tend to find that products like 'Site Advisor' were once a good reliable source to a website, this is no longer the case. The website might be regarded as safe, but its the download product that might not be, and this is perhaps were the problem is beginning to lay.

bumpkin 14:09 20 Sep 14

I don't think we are becoming sloppy, probably more careful in fact but it seems like a constant battle against these pests. Some sort of reliable site list is fundamentally a good idea but how long before that becomes contaminated.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:37 20 Sep 14

Now I am sure someone posted a program on here recently that you could download and use as all of the downloads were free of add ons.

That was Ninite, however a stated above redownload software for my new PC did have a problem with one Ninite program.

namtas 16:54 20 Sep 14

It has almost reached a point of where you need to download first to a not so important or spare PC.

bumpkin 18:58 20 Sep 14

namtas, I have tried that but still have the aggro of getting rid of the crap or the backup PC becomes riddled with it.

john bunyan 19:02 20 Sep 14

I have taken to creating a restore point before downloading a programme from most sources (I Tunes and other installed programmes updates excepted)

Aitchbee 19:28 20 Sep 14

I keep several backups of all of my OLD useful downloaded utility programs - so that I can circumvent the liklihood of downloading any 'nasties'. As long as the old programs are workin' on one's computer[s], why is there any need for a shiny new verion with a potential risk of the misery of an infected system hard drive?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…