The end of SPAM?

CurlyWhirly 23:43 01 Oct 04
  BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 08:28 02 Oct 04
  Forum Editor 10:31 02 Oct 04

I very much doubt that.......

In my experience if enough people want something to stop it will stop, and it's undoubtedly true that everyone in the computing community (with the exception of the spammers) DOES want spam to cease. Therefore it will happen, and this move by five of the world's biggest mail handlers is going to have an impact. Eventually spam will be reduced to a trickle, and we can probably live with that.

Everyone who uses email will breathe a big sigh of relief when it happens.

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 11:27 02 Oct 04

there are anti-spam software,but they don't completely block them,there is bound to be still some spam,whatever software is used,still.

Forum Editor 11:42 02 Oct 04

isn't what we're talking about here. The intitiative by the big mail handlers is designed to prevent spammers from hiding the origin of the mail. Once it's possible for mail origins to be easily and rapidly ascertained the way is open for many more prosecutions, and provided the penalties are severe enough the big spammers will eventually be deterred.

This is only one of the measures currently being developed - there'll be others - but it's a very welcome one. The system will mean that all mail sent to customers with one of the big five handlers will have its header scanned, and any message that can't be authenticated will automatically be rejected. The mail simply will not get onto the servers, so users will not see it in their inboxes.

end 15:28 02 Oct 04

I am getting them with seemingly no sender address attached, and even my Mailwasher cannot "deal " with them; most annoying:(

not a lot of them , but annoying nevertheless:)

Mr Mistoffelees 18:10 02 Oct 04

The professional spammers are a resourceful bunch. Will they not just find a way round the security advances as they are developed?

CurlyWhirly 19:59 02 Oct 04

I hope that SPAM does indeed get reduced if not stopped altogether (as does millions of people).
Thanks to all for replying.

CurlyWhirly 20:05 02 Oct 04

p.s. The Forum Editor mentions "that this move by five of the world's biggest mail handlers is going to have an impact."
I would just like to say that I have NOT heard of Earthlink or Comcast so I assume they are not that popular?!
I have (of course) heard of AOL, Yahoo and Hotmail!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Battlefield 1 review: Destructive environments, phenomenal graphics and an emotional campaign make…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Microsoft HoloLens hands-on review

How to use System Preferences in macOS Sierra (and Mac OS X): Complete guide to personalising the…