The end of P2P networks in the UK?

CurlyWhirly 20:56 14 Oct 04

click here

I don't use P2P networks anymore due to all the Malware that you can get off them not to mention the illegal act of using them!
I haven't used P2P for over 12 months but I am just curious as to the legal position of my ISP (AOL) as even though it is an American company would they be legally bound to UK law as mentioned in my link?

Gordon Comstock 21:01 14 Oct 04
  Gordon Comstock 21:02 14 Oct 04

and over excited

CurlyWhirly 21:06 14 Oct 04

But surely this will make people in the UK think TWICE before using P2P?

ste_bla 21:33 14 Oct 04

P2P networks are NOT illegal however some software on them is copywrited and therefore the act of downloading is illegal; there is a difference..

CurlyWhirly 21:53 14 Oct 04

I agree 100% with you but let's be honest over 90% of people who use P2P networks use them to download illegal copyrighted material.
I know as I used to use it but no more.

Valvegrid 21:53 14 Oct 04

Its a shame that P2P and file sharing has attracted so much negative publicity because of the illegal side of it.

The other side of the coin, its a very important tool. Without programs like Bittorrent you would not be able to download a lot of the open source software, like operating systems, which are large file downloads. These would not be free if the software house had to supply the bandwidth for such large downloads.

CurlyWhirly 21:57 14 Oct 04

I agree with your comment.
The only way I can see in keeping P2P networks LEGAL is by DRM (Digital Rights Management)

Gordon Comstock 22:24 14 Oct 04

I don't use P2P either but i still get loads of free music.

CurlyWhirly 22:25 14 Oct 04

Hi. Where do you get this free music from?

Valvegrid 22:45 14 Oct 04

That's one way, but a bit pointless for open source because its free anyway. If you apply DRM to open source it immediately puts a cost pressure on the software, so it won't be free anymore.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…