The end of the floppy disk

Sethhaniel 15:59 30 Jan 07

The biggest chain of computer stores in the UK is dropping floppy disks from sale due to plummeting demand.
click here

lisa02 16:06 30 Jan 07

The floppy disk died quite a while ago, this is just the funeral.

The Brigadier 16:08 30 Jan 07
  Forum Editor 16:08 30 Jan 07

for years, and I don't know anyone who has.

mole44 16:10 30 Jan 07

i`m not surprised,i can`t remember the last time i used my floppy drive.pen drive however is always being used.life goes on and change will always be there.

lisa02 16:10 30 Jan 07

FE I remember reading your story where you took the wrong (blank) floppy disk to a presentation. That put you off them, did it?

Steve- 16:12 30 Jan 07

My versions of XP only gives the "A" Floppy drive as an option to load SATA drivers on install, I wonder how we are supposed to do this if the drives are not available.

Terry Brown 16:12 30 Jan 07

I still use one, I use it for storing any Emails that have passwords, as If for any reason I need to re-enter a password (i.e. systen fail /New hard drive), it is easier (and less prone to errors to copy & paste than to type in manually.
Terry

jackhass 16:38 30 Jan 07

Obviously know one so far repairs pc's and has to update or recover the motherboard Bios.

A floppy is a 'must have' in these situations.

"O no,don't touch the bios.You might destroy your machine"!!! Tuh.

johndrew 16:51 30 Jan 07

You do now, me.

I use them to transfer all sorts of information from my old Amiga 4000 - which is still going strong - and a very old Compaq running an even older version of Windows!!!!

They are also excellent for keeping financial files and a copy of the wpa.dbl file away from the PC.

Looks as if I shall have to get into the bulk buying game!!!

Forum Editor 17:17 30 Jan 07

Like my wife, you never forget.

That might have been one reason, but to be honest, floppies died in my office when CDs became so cheap they could be used instead. Once flash drives arrived we transferred the data on all our archived floppies to a single drive that could be slipped into a shirt pocket. That enables us to chuck hundreds and hundreds of floppies into the bin. I don't expect to see another one, ever again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac