Elizabeth Butler-Sloss will head historical child abuse review

Forum Editor 23:25 08 Jul 14

Which has to be good news to everyone with an interest in seeing this subject given a thorough examination.

She has an enviable reputation for good sense and sensitivity where children are concerned.

Al94 23:49 08 Jul 14

Absolutely the wrong person to lead this enquiry. She at 80 years of age is too old, she is a member of the House of Lords and must surely be regarded as too close to the very society that is being investigated. Also her brother being Lord Chancellor during the 80's, a period which will be investigated, must put a question mark over her impartiality.

spider9 00:16 09 Jul 14

A194

Find myself agreeing with your opinion on this matter.

The problem, however, is finding someone to head up such an enquiry without having any 'baggage' of the kind you illustrated, yet possibly young enough not to have 'connections' with the politicians of the era in question. Certainly I feel 80 years is too old for the rigours of this job.

Flak999 00:17 09 Jul 14

An unusual choice, given some of the controversy that has surrounded her judgements. As Al94 says, given her background as a member of the Lords she could well be investigating some of her peers.

I feel this should be a full public enquiry with the ability to call witnesses under oath. If half of what we hear turns out to be true this will make the MPs expenses scandal look like a storm in a teacup.

A 1995 BBC interview with Tim Fortescue, a Conservative whip in Ted Heath's Tory government between 1970-73, suggested MPs might seek their help with personal problems.

"It might be debt, it might be scandal involving small boys, any kind of scandal. And if we could help, we would, because we would store up brownie points. If we could get a chap out of trouble, then he'd do as we ask for evermore."

This will destroy whatever credibility the political class had left!

BillSers 09:22 09 Jul 14

'I'm amazed that the statistics show it's always white males that seem to like to interfere with children.'

Why?

I think a woman is better suited for the job, and her reputation precedes her. A good choice I believe.

Al94 10:02 09 Jul 14

The BBC are now reporting this click here

Maybe go the same way as her appointment as coroner in the Diana inquest?

wizzboy 10:11 09 Jul 14

it should be someone from out side this country that should lead the this enquiry, and also a? mark about the police looking into it are they the right people since they my reasion for saying this that they might cover up, and also if its right what the reports are saying so far that this is way bigger than we know. This will destroy whatever credibility the political class had left! i bet this will lead right to the top of the govenment.

Aitchbee 11:31 09 Jul 14

I think that this woman would have been a better candidate for the job in question:-

click here

spuds 11:45 09 Jul 14

Already I am finding the whole affair confusing, considering the lengthy speech the Home Secretary made in the Commons, especially on how any procedures were to be followed.

Initially it was stated that this "would be a review of a review" that the CEO of the NSPCC would govern and investigate, and from that a further panel would conduct a more intense investigation if required.

It was apparent by the speech, that a senior level legal (independent?) person would be involved, possibly someone not affiliated to any of the political party's, because this may lead to a 'investigating their own' situation.

While I have respect for Butler-Sloss and somethings that she as said and done in the past, in my opinion she is not the person to be selected, because of her possible commitments to the Conservative party, not forgetting that the events of the possible investigation was in the Conservative era that this 'lost, misplaced,not known the whereabouts' documents incident occured. To perhaps give public faith in a total independent investigation on the legal side, then it might possibly by the selection of a well known QC (who are known for their actions) chairing the investigation, and not someone with any noticeable ties to a political party?.

spider9 14:23 09 Jul 14

It is surprising that nobody in the decision-making process seemed aware of her connections with the attorney general who was in charge at the time of the original reported documents.

Also her strong affiliations with the Tory Party - who dealt with the original case. Whitewash keeps springing to mind!!

According to FE's link

"She is also a pillar of the establishment, with historical links to the Conservative Party.".

These are both qualities, I would suggest, that should have immediately ruled her out - as it's the 'establishment' who may well have conspired to hush things up ( according to Lord Tebbit), and the events came to light during a Conservative rule period.

flycatcher1 15:28 09 Jul 14

I think that Elizabeth Butler-Sloss is not the right person to head this enquiry purely because she is just too old. The fact that she may be a Conservative supporter should not be a reason to doubt her balanced judgement in legal cases. The recent DPP, Keith Starmer is a strong Labour supporter but I have never heard anyone suggest that he was biased when he decided on major prosecutions.

I feel neutral about her brother's political career it really should not make any difference.

In my "long and varied Service career serving the King/ Queen in far off places" (!) Only once was their a hint of political bias. In 1959 a major body of Aircrew Officers was assembled and for nearly two hours harangued by Air Marshals about the danger of the "Ban the Bomb" movement. We thought that it was like water off a ducks back, in one ear and out of the other. The only thing I really remember was when Bernard Russell was mocked for believing in "Free Love". It raised momentous applause and the proceedings were rapidly curtailed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…