The Elephant

morddwyd 09:27 23 May 12

I wonder if the FE is watching the elephant in the room, wondering who will mention it first?

Don't worry, Peter, it won't be me - I'd be on a hiding to no nothing with my views!

Subject always to the padlock, FM and I would still be arguing this time next year!

Aitchbee 09:44 23 May 12

...my rooms don't have any spare space for an elephant...except me...but I don't get noticed 'cos I live alone.

wiz-king 10:09 23 May 12

I see no oliphants

john bunyan 12:38 23 May 12

morddwyd

You are being cryptic, but I have not yet caught on! Maybe one for Brumas?

Brumas 12:57 23 May 12

john bunyan I am as much in the dark as you are old pal.

exprog 14:23 23 May 12

Look up Elephant in the room on Google.

Not sure of the subject though

Blackhat 14:33 23 May 12

I too am realy curios, could it be either some PCA site content or something in the news?

interzone55 14:53 23 May 12

Is the news story you refer to the separation of the couple from My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding?

That's the biggest story I've seen so far today

lotvic 16:18 23 May 12

Ok, I did as exprog said to do and got:

"Elephant in the room" is an English metaphorical idiom for an obvious truth that is being ignored or goes unaddressed. The idiomatic expression also applies to an obvious problem or risk no one wants to discuss.

It is based on the idea that an elephant in a room would be impossible to overlook; thus, people in the room who pretend the elephant is not there have chosen to avoid dealing with the looming big issue.

Aitchbee 17:00 23 May 12

"Ants in your pants" might be the equivalent colloquial expression if you are thinkin' of downsizing.

john bunyan 17:27 23 May 12

I thought everyone knew what the phrase meant, but not the subject the poster was thinking about, To me the biggest elephant in the room is the way few people want to talk about putting a huge effort into population growth,; people keep on about GMO, water shortages, pollution but all these things will only get worse unless population is somehow (I dont know how) controlled. David Attenborough is about the only high profile person to mention it - folk like Oxfam etc, however worthy , keep on about saving babies from disease, famines etc - rather than reducing the numbers.We , of course , must save them but spend as much on birth control

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now