The Elegant Universe & *Black Holes*

DieSse 00:12 28 Mar 06

For anyone interested in cosmology, here is an interesting set of programs to watch, made by NOVA for PBS (public broadcasting service) click here

Also of note is an interesting theory, recently aired in New Scientist, that *black holes* may not actually exist, and may be a different type of structure with a *quantum critical shell* with a vacuum inside. - which would exhibit the observed properties of *black holes*, and also explain some of the anomalies that *black holes* don't explain. click here

hzhzhz 08:42 28 Mar 06

Thanks DieSse.

SG Atlantis® 13:08 28 Mar 06

*marked

thanks

ade.h 16:25 28 Mar 06

Excellent stuff! I love watching or reading anything to do with quantum physics. Although I scan over the NS site fairly often, I hadn't seen that article.

keith-236134 17:14 28 Mar 06

Most of the theories are pure guess work, 40 years from now they will probably be laughing at our ideas of the universe.

Teaboy 17:14 28 Mar 06

WOW! noted for when I can find time.

Teaboy 17:21 28 Mar 06

hairyplums you are totally wrong. most of the theories current in science are the result of experimentally irrefutable proofs. guesswork has never been used. So there!

wee eddie 18:01 28 Mar 06

All experiments are based on current knowledge and assumptions, and are unlikely to contradict them.

However, there may easily be new hypotheses that produce the same results but give them different meanings.

In other words. All our current hypotheses are not necessarily correct but not necessarily incorrect either. How's that for double-dutch!

DieSse 18:11 28 Mar 06

*experimentally irrefutable proofs*

I bet they wish that was possible!

There are observations, and theories based on, and inferred from those obsevations.

The holy grail of all theories is to find new effects which can be observed with new experiments, and to explain previously unexplainable observations.

Proof in such matters is always a matter of the preponderence of corresponding observations. Absolute proof of anything is not possible (including this statement ;-)))

keith-236134 21:14 28 Mar 06

What?? your joking surely, what about String Theory, Multiverses, now the exsistance of black holes is being questioned, they make up things like black matter, black energy. They dream up something then fiddle around until it fits.

DieSse 22:38 28 Mar 06

If you want to put forward any rational and logical critique of the current (not fixed for ever - no science ever is) cosmology - feel free to do so.

Accusing the astronomers and cosmologists, and all the rest of "just guessing" is not even worth commenting on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…