Electricity Outlets

Chas49 14:30 26 Nov 08

I hope to go to Canada on holiday next year. I would like to know what the power sockets are over there, ie: are they the same 3 hole sockets we use. If different, can adapters be bought and from where? Advice appreciated.

MAT ALAN 14:42 26 Nov 08

110/120V 60Hz

click here

you will need something like the plug in the link, most highstreet leccy stores have them, probably find them in Argos and places like that...

€dstowe 14:42 26 Nov 08

Canada uses the same system (and voltage) as the USA. You can get international adapters from most electrical shops quite cheaply.

Ensure your electrical devices will work on the lower (110V) system.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:43 26 Nov 08

The appliances you have to be careful with are the ones that have a switch to change from 220 to 110v

switch set to 220 - On 110 they just don't work or work slowly.

just remember to reset the switch when you come home

switch set at 110 and plugged into 220 they go bang.

tullie 15:57 26 Nov 08

And if you forget,the airport shops will have them.

the hick 17:08 26 Nov 08

Some cameras with lithium batteries and their own recharger may not have dual-voltage chargers. Can be a problem.

Chas49 18:45 26 Nov 08

the thick: I'll check that as the camera (a Panasonic HS9) has it's own charger (what a pity they don't use AA's !)

Fruit Bat /\0/\: Another good point, thanks.

fourm member: Or ensure that the battery is fully charged before you leave and be content with what you get from that.

tullie: Good Idea (but not before doing the other checks!)

MAT ALAN: Good link, thanks.

€dstowe: I will check with the 'local' panasonic reps.

Thanks to all for your replies.

wiz-king 19:15 26 Nov 08

If its only for charging a camera or phone and you have a car over there click here

Chas49 19:21 26 Nov 08

wiz-king: Ah....if only I could drive - eyesight prevents me from doing that 8-(( Thanks for the suggestion though 8-))

wiz-king 21:46 26 Nov 08

In that case click here

Chas49 23:02 26 Nov 08

Noted Wiz-king. I'm waiting now for a reply from an email to the Uk Panasonic. Thanks, if all else fails then this would appear to be the answer - I could always sell it on my return.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac