Electric shaving help.

wolfie3000 19:50 17 Jan 10

For the past week iv switched from wet shaving to electric shaving, but i find my skin is always irritated after shaving with the electric razor.

The instructions that came with the shaver says to shave before washing your face but websites online say to shave after washing your face, so which is right?

Im using the Braun Series 1 190.

PalaeoBill 20:01 17 Jan 10

You haven't given it long enough. It takes a good 2 to 3 weeks to adjust to a new electric razor. The irritation should pass.

There are things you can do to minimize irriation. Washing and drying your face thoroughly before you shave removes the oil from your skin that inteferes with the foil. If this leaves your skin too dry, then you can try a pre-electric shave gel (which you have to let sink into the skin before you try shaving).

You need to shave against the growth, run your finger through the stubble to find the growth direction and push the razor in the direction of the most resistance.

PalaeoBill 20:04 17 Jan 10

One other thing with single foil electric razors, if you take too long to shave or push too hard against the skin the foil tends to get hot and burn your skin. Electric razors are not so good if you leave it too long between shaves. Think of how hard it is to mow the lawn if the grass has grown too much.

al's left peg 20:27 17 Jan 10

Wolfie,
I have always imagined you with a big bushy beard for some reason. I think it's the name Wolfie 3000.

bremner 20:36 17 Jan 10

I always find that I get a closer and less chaffing electric shave when my face is cold and dry so I never shave before washing.

That is me but I am certain others will be the exact opposite.

I think you need to try alternatives and see what is best for you.

wolfie3000 20:38 17 Jan 10

al's left peg,
Yeh i did have a big bushy beard for sometime but I got fed up with it.

click here

Well thanks guys for the info so far, any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

Picklefactory 20:46 17 Jan 10

Waxing?

I'll get my coat!!!

interzone55 20:57 17 Jan 10

I used a Braun 8000 series shaver for a couple of years, it took about 3 weeks to get used to it, but I found it didn't really shave as well as a wet razor.

I tried it out because I was fed up of forking out a small fortune for blades for my Gillette Fusion razor, but the Braun shaver was just as expensive to run due to the replacement tanks for the cleaner station and the £15 worth of replacement foil every 18 months.

The Braun is now stuck in a drawer and I'm using Wilkinson Sword Xtreme 3 disposable razors, I'm finding they last as long as Gillette Fusion blades and shave just as close, with the added benefit that they're half the price...

Hercule Marple 21:21 17 Jan 10

Btw, I don't expect a close shave from this shaver. It just has to keep the stubble at bay. Which it does.

mrwoowoo 21:23 17 Jan 10

To improve your image, the shaving i approve of.
The pipe smoking i don't.
The lack of facial hair will now give you a clear view of your monitor while playing Halo and Perfect world.
But now you obscure it with clouds of smoke.
Back to square one. (O:!

Hercule Marple 21:26 17 Jan 10

I prefer rotary electric shavers to foil ones. The one I have atm is easy to rinse off after each use, so there's never any old hair left on it to cause irritation. It did take a few weeks for my face to 'adjust' to it, and I intend to keep using it till it expires (or the blades become so blunt as to be useless).

I always shower first, then wait at least a half hour before shaving. I like my face to be clean and totally dry before shaving.

You can use a rotary to shave in any direction. Makes no difference.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced