Electric Meter ........Different Problem

oresome 21:06 06 Apr 07

Reading another thread on electric meters reminds me of a problem a friend had.

Moving into a new house several years ago, she and her neighbours had difficulty getting anyone to read their electric meters and bill them.

They were always met with the questions, "who is your present supplier" to which they replied they didn't have one, then "what is your address" which never appeared on any of the suppliers databases, The supply companies would then say they couldn't take on the account.

My friend is the type that worries over such things and eventually some 2 years or more after moving in, she finally convinced one of the companies to accept her as a customer and now pays for her electric.

Here's the rub. She is the only one in the development that now pays for electricity out of around a dozen houses. Her neighbours have not paid for electricity for over 5 years since moving in!

They're not foolish enough to have squandered the money, but I bet there's no way they will have to pay 5 years or more arrears when it eventually comes to light. Some compromise deal will be struck and she will be the only one who's paid top dollar for all her electric.

She does sleep easier at night, but that last point niggles her.

What would you do in similar circumstances, turn the heating up or worry?

laurie53 09:01 07 Apr 07

Put the relevant amount into an ISA each quarter, but when the bill catches up try and persuade the Regulator to set a reasonable settlement figure!

Laurie

Ranger 08:56 08 Apr 07

I'm not 100% 0n this but did the Govt not pass a law that the power companies could only charge back for a couple of years, i'm sure it only came in the last year or two, and it may just be Scotland, but the impression I got when getting told about it was that that it was countrywide

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5