Election Fever

Dan the Confused 20:57 02 Nov 04

I watched the news earlier, and it seems that the US election has already become the farce that was predicted. One of the problems has been with the computer voting system, for instance a terminal's memory card stopped working when it was moved. Also, international monitors have been told (in one State at least) that a paper recount would be possible for the voting terminals, but the monitors are baffled by this.

My question: is voting using computer terminals a good idea? Is the hole-punch method better? Or should we all stick to pen and paper?

Jackcoms 21:20 02 Nov 04

Do we really care about which moron is elected the leader of (circa) 250 million other morons?

Mozarella 21:21 02 Nov 04

Stick to pen and paper, slogging to the polling centre or getting a lift from the guy you`re not voting for. It`s still open to fraud but on a much , much lower scale. Have you ever thought that someone in our governmental system could tell who you voted for? Someone can!

Djohn 22:41 02 Nov 04

Bit strong to call all Americans Morons. :o(

I think you may be surprised as to just how much the outcome will effect us over here in Great Britain.

Forum Editor 23:55 02 Nov 04

Why spoil an interesting topic with such a silly and immature comment? We'll have no more from you in that vein please.

g0slp 02:24 03 Nov 04

Pen & paper works for me.

Once again technology being applied 'because we can' seems to have proved itself not up to the job. You'd have thought that the fiasco of 2000 would have taught the USA a lesson, but apparently not...

Good news for the lawyers though :-((

Forum Editor 07:21 03 Nov 04

but don't make comments of a political nature.

Bandy 10:19 03 Nov 04

I know that ignorabce is bliss but I see no reason why a trail could not be incorporated into the electonic voting systems. Cost and complexity obviously impose limitations but ......

The thing that makes me wonder more is the 3 to 4 hour queues that people have to endure to vote. Is it just that there are too few voting points or is there some other reason.

I also wonder what would happen to the voting figures if we had to wait that long to vote in this country.

Diemmess 11:32 03 Nov 04

USA is indeed a huge country even without distant outposts like Alaska and Hawai.

Worry about any suggestions of going computerised in this country. Particularly as any Government Dept. (civilian anyway, though I suspect military ones are no better) have an abysmal record at computerised record keeping where costs are extraordinary and results are fatally flawed until a few more £Billion are added to the bill.

Most people are able to vote with countable bits of paper after a short journey to the nearest polling station. Fine, and for the few who are infirm, or really live in the sticks or just predictably away, Royal Mail still works in UK.

Of course it is important how the American election goes, but a fat lot we can do about it and what would the press do for copy?

Dorsai 17:45 03 Nov 04

Given the current level of virus's and geneal malware out on the net, i would be deeply worried about computerised voting.

Many users are falling foul of malware that the simplest of security measurs (such as keeping your OS updated & having AV) can prevent. If the current level of user apathy in the security area persists, and electronic voting came about, how many users would unknowingly get hijacked, not by a home page hijack, but by a 'vote hijack'. They think they voted for candidate 'A' but the vote was re-jigged, and is recorded as a vote for 'B'.

Until people can be persuaded to be as secrity concious about their PC as they are about, say, their house or car, i think on-line voting is an idea best left on the shelf.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac