Elected Mayors ?

spuds 13:36 19 Jan 11

London as one, and so does a few more places, with the previous and this coalition government still pressing for the idea and public participation.

I already note that one city de-selected their mayor, and other cities have had changes in Mayoral roles and attitudes.

Whats your opinion, should we have public elected Mayors, and if so what qualifications and expectations are required?.

jakimo 15:22 19 Jan 11

'In our simple minds we want one recognisable person to take responsibility for everything.'

Your mind may be simple,but please don't assume the needs and wants of everyone else is the same as yours

interzone55 16:02 19 Jan 11

Whilst I'm certain fourm member can fully defend himself on this, I feel he was referring to the populace at large who are far more willing to pay a pound to vote for some talentless wailer each week than they are to wander down to a poll booth...

Woolwell 16:26 19 Jan 11

Elected mayors do not replace the old mayoral system of Lord Mayors which does indeed seem to be about 'buggins turn'. For example Boris Johnson is the elected mayor of London but the Lord mayor of London is Alderman Michael Bear. Direct Gov gives a brief explanation of the differences click here

Seth Haniel 21:30 19 Jan 11

And they voted in the 'Monkey'. And he's still here. :)

spuds 11:22 20 Jan 11

I asked the above question in all seriousness, because our local council have been informed that this procedure should or must go ahead. Yet we the public seem to be in a limbo, because the council are stating that they will need to look at the legal implications of all this.

Considering that the elected Mayor role is now not a new thing, I am perhaps regarding our councils move is one of a stalling tactic, and possibly political motivated!.

The other point, is that Stoke on Trent had an Elected Mayor, but the idea I believe failed. Yet some other areas have had a divided response as to the true worth of the this new type of public venture. And will it bring power back to the people, or is it another Jobsworth position?.

Woolwell 11:52 20 Jan 11

My feeling is that local councillors do not like this idea because they may lose power and influence. It doesn't matter which party and therefore is not political.

I am not in favour of this as it seems more presidential than the system that we are used to. I cannot see how it will bring power back to the people. The power of the people is through the ballot box and many cannot be bothered to vote in local elections. Too many councillors also seem to vote for their party or their own interests rather than that of the ward they represent. I think that it may be more fruitful to investigate how we could get better quality, younger candidates for election at local level and increase voter turn out.

spuds 12:28 20 Jan 11

With regards to younger candidates, do you not think that their views are becoming blinkered in perhaps serving the party, rather than the electorate?.

In our electoral area, we had had a previous young person whose idea was of helping the public, but with preference to his own political ambitions. That person is no longer in politics, because his methods eventually became known for what they were. The same seems to be applying to his replacement, who follows another political parties beck and call, but every move he makes, he seems to fall in his trap of own making.

Coming back to the subject of Elected Mayor, we already have the local political parties prospective candidates waving their banners, and arguing among themselves for a chance of being elected to this new position. But going on their past performances, we the local public are doomed, if their previous records are anything to go by. If anyone of them were elected, then the Elected Mayor role would not be to the publics benefit, and it would be business as usual, without amends.

We want fresh blood,possibly without a political party pulling the strings, but that seems very thin on the ground. Except if you want to take the Hartlepool recommendation?.

Woolwell 12:33 20 Jan 11

I tend to agree with you that many younger candidates are party political animals who are seeking to work within a party and have had no other work experience. However I was thinking of younger than those well into retirement. This sounds ageist but some should have retired completely.

As for fresh blood people don't seem to want to get involved in this sort of work.

Chegs ®™ 12:33 20 Jan 11

Our town are discussing the idea of an elected mayor,the councillors dont appear to be in favour as they recently stated it was going to cost us more.There's nobody seems interested in "stepping up" to be voted in either.The councillors could do with being sacked & someone with the best interests of the area voted in rather than this bunch of labourites that have been in control so many years I have no idea if we even have any other party represented and only seem to have self-interests.Every week,the letters pages of the local paper are full of "in-fighting" as the "Executive" councillors argue among themselves.One particular councillor(used to be Tory only defected to Labour)seems to delight in stirring up trouble as he makes allegations against other councillors(so far,all have been investigated and been deemed unfounded)I am interested enough in the councils goings-on to read all the articles in the paper but (probably like most others) not enough to try and get elected onto the council.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced