eire on a budget

lofty29 09:15 22 Feb 08

Hi Folks, wonder if anyone out there can offer some advice, my wife has always wanted to have a short holiday in southern ireland,we are pensioners,she has trouble walking due to arthritis, we are thinking of flying from bristol to cork hiring a car and spending a week b&b. Any suggestions for places to stay,visit, what the people are like would be gratefully received, we like the countryside, visiting olde fashioned places, old type markets, music. many thanks in advance Tony

Quickbeam 09:47 22 Feb 08

I went there about 4 years ago in the car on a touring holiday. Over on the West side it is very sparsely inhabited (compared to The Lakes for instance) but every bit as scenic. It's a bit like stepping back 50 years in time, the pace of life is just so un-hurried it's unbelievable... but they are definitely in the 21st century!

Google it for click here there's plenty of organised tours to suit your needs.

Bingalau 11:26 22 Feb 08

Without ever going to Ireland I can tell you that the Irish people are wonderful. I know because my mum was one of them... I've served in the forces with them too and all were all good people. Never met one who didn't have the gift of the gab though. Boy! Can they talk?

Diemmess 12:39 22 Feb 08

Amazing place and so pleasant.
Lived in Tramore for two years just prior to WW2(Dad's job)
In 2002 did an American type return 5 day tour with car exploring old haunts and the far west which was new to me and quite wonderful.

Quickbeam 16:35 22 Feb 08

They're there to use, just arrive in the afternoon at a town and let them find you an available B&B at the price you want. I've used them all over Europe and find them great if you don't want to think more than a day ahead giving you the maximum freedom of travel.

Woolwell 17:02 22 Feb 08

Went to Cork about 4 years ago when I had difficulty walking due to balance problems as I was recovering from labyrinthitis. Got around without any major problems. The Guiness could of course have hindered the balance as well.
Spend a day or so in the Cork if you can.
Visit Blarney for the experience but your wife probably will not be able to kiss the stone as it is too far up steps. I couldn't get there.

Quickbeam 17:25 22 Feb 08

"I had difficulty walking due to balance problems" - "The Guiness could of course have hindered the balance as well"

In my case it was the visit, and subsequent tasting session at the Jameson's Middleton distillery :)

sunny staines 18:25 22 Feb 08

when you come back lets us know how you got on, might do the trip next year same reason with the wife.

lofty29 19:40 22 Feb 08

sunny staines
will certainly do that, hoping to go in september, looks like I will have to book very soon as flights and sc accomadation are dissapearing fast, thanks all for the info.

Brumas 21:04 22 Feb 08

We love Southern Ireland and have toured it extensively by car and by boat, up and down the Shannon, and have nothing but praise for the country ,it’s people and their way of life.

We always avoided the large towns and I think we must have covered most of the back roads - in fact, whenever we finished for the day I used to highlight the journey we had taken on a road map – looking at that road map now is like looking at an image of all the blood vessels in and around the heart, there’s that many!

I could go on and on but I won’t bore the pants of you but in fact, if it were possible, we should like to live on The Ring of Beara, one can dream!

Go, take a camera and I guarantee you will want to return – we did!

bluto1 21:48 22 Feb 08

It's nice to hear all the good things from the lads here. I was born in Dublin and the best advice I can give you to kickstart your holiday there is check out click here
and click here

Hope you thoroughly enjoy yourselves.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac