Egyptian mummies are covered up

Seth Haniel 08:50 22 May 08

Egyptian mummies at Manchester Museum have been covered up after complaints from a small number of visitors.
click here

Nude Paintings to be given dressing gowns next!!!!! ;)

Quickbeam 08:53 22 May 08

There just long dead bodies, like dinosaur skeletons... a slice of past history.

peter99co 08:56 22 May 08

We have not come very far from covering table legs with cloth for some people

johndrew 09:29 22 May 08

The answer for those who complain and feel offended is simple - don`t go to places where you may be caused to complain.

Failing that of course they could come into the real world and recognise that history (which is after all what museums are about) do, and will continue, to contain items that pre-date current life. A bit like cemeteries really - perhaps they will be covered up next!!

HondaMan 09:32 22 May 08

interesting to know how many people were involved in the public consultation and how many made complaints. I suspect that the museum is pandering to the vocal minority!

Seth Haniel 10:06 22 May 08

moral issues will be forced back with the release of a film about Mary Whitehouse with Julie Walters portraying her - afraid that film won't get past my viewing firewall
;)

Legolas 12:51 22 May 08

I probably won't watch said film but I wish we had someone today like Mary Whitehouse then we might not get every drama on after the watershed littered with bad language. I can see no reason whatsoever for the need for bad language in our TV programmes, it seems to be in vogue at the moment. If I want to hear language like that I can sit on a bus and listen to the conversations round about me, I don't really want it brought into my living room.

I know I could switch over or switch off but I would have to do that with the majority of programmes on after the watershed.

It used to be that bad language in a TV programme was the exception now it appears to be the rule, very sad in my opinion.

Chegs ®™ 13:29 22 May 08

I am not a prude by any means,but I agree that the watershed means my TV goes off as I dislike hearing so much foul language,even comics seem to think their material wont be funny unless its delivered with a selection of swear words.I recall seeing Lee Evans on TV some years ago and finding him amusing(minus swearing)so when I was offered a DVD of him I decided to watch.After five minutes I had had enough of the constant swearing & turned it off.

Chegs ®™ 13:36 22 May 08

Dam,posted too soon....

As to egyptian remains offending,its pretty obvious that the museum will contain human remains.What do people think Lindow Man to be a glove puppet? I cant see the distinction between a 60yr old woman or a child,they both are mummies and if they offend a minority then my thought would be the minority dont enter the museum.

Seth Haniel 14:00 22 May 08

The minority spoiling it for the majority again. Lets hope they don't visit the Cairo museum.

interzone55 14:40 22 May 08

I don't think it's prudish to be offended by displays of dead bodies.

I have no problem with displays of caskets and grave ornamentation, and there is nothing wrong with showing the odd leg bone, but I find the display of complete bodies to be a little distasteful.

It's the same as going to the butchers, I've no problem eating meat, and seeing cuts of meat, but I don't like seeing the heads.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017