Education Standards............Who's Right?

oresome 20:25 13 Oct 09

The chief executive of Tesco, Sir Terry Leahy said that standards in schools were often “woefully low” and that the education system left it to private companies to “pick up the pieces”.

Sir Terry’s forthright comments to a food industry conference were echoed by Asda, Britain’s second biggest supermarket chain.

A Department for Children, School and Families spokesman said: “Standards have never been higher in our secondary schools.

click here

morddwyd 20:33 13 Oct 09

"A Department for Children, School and Families spokesman said: “Standards have never been higher in our secondary schools"

"Well, they would, wouldn't they?" (Mandy Rice-Davies)

natdoor 20:53 13 Oct 09

But they are only judging those who apply for jobs with them.

wiz-king 21:04 13 Oct 09

Children have been trained (indoctrinated) for years that 'shop work' or 'office work' is a low status job and you 'must' go to university and do something like media studies.

John B 21:30 13 Oct 09

I can't really comment about the calibre of applicants for jobs at Tesco, or whether the posts are 'unskilled'

However, there is a predicted decrease in the number of unskilled jobs in the future. There are early one million young people (16 -24)not in education, employment or training (NEETS).

The government has attempted to address some of these issues with the 14-19 curriculum.

It's probably been posted on here before, but the 'Shift Happens' slide show click here gives a prediction of the future for young people in the UK, particularly with regard to the rapid advances being made in other parts of the world (China and India in particular).

Forum Editor 23:02 13 Oct 09

and of course the UK educators will say that standards are high. I would probably do the same if I was involved in the education system.

Travel abroad however, and you will quickly realise that quite a few other countries are rapidly overhauling us in the education stakes. They've realised that their future prosperity and their status in the world depends to a very large extent on the way their children are educated. We appear to have lost sight of that basic truth.

gardener 00:27 14 Oct 09

My wife is a teacher and also marks GCSE papers in her spare time (Ha Ha). She is in no doubt that her particular subject has been 'dumbed down'.

Chegs ®™ 12:19 14 Oct 09

I received an email from the school informing me of a "parents evening" which contained spelling mistakes,and the various certificates of achievement my daughter was given at this evening all had her surname incorrectly spelled and when she returned them to the school the next day was told "it doesnt matter and there's nothing we can do to correct it" My daughter wasnt exactly enamoured to discover that these "achievement awards" which are meant to be physical proof and encourage her to work harder "dont matter" to the school.

wee eddie 12:21 14 Oct 09

I had a Café/Restaurant for 25 years (1980 - 2005) and, as such, was an employer of just the type of kids that Sir Terry was speaking of.

It struck me that, over the years, the quantity of usable knowledge that the Teenagers, who applied for jobs, had accumulated was reduced.

Reading and Mathematical difficulties increased over the period and the lack of understanding of what was required to present oneself to the Employer and Public had become endemic.

However, if you find the right Kid, the will and ability to learn have not diminished in any way, but the outlook of many has become monochromatic.

kidsis 16:07 14 Oct 09

but employers still generally prefer to employ badly educated youngsters rather than better educated oldies. Oh I know that larger companies have a better mix of age, but it is still very difficult for older workers to get a job.

kidsis 16:12 14 Oct 09

I do speak from experience: I well remember one company where I was told "we don't want anyone over 35 working here". And how about, at an interview, being greeted with "what are you doing here? the person we are replacing is 18, you've got a nerve applying". Somehow I remained calm and told the dear girl that there was no age limit mentioned in the advert, and my date of birth was clearly marked at the top of my cv. At that point she looked at the cv, obviously for the first time, and grudgingly said that as I had turned up she supposed she would go through with the interview. And I was stupid enough to stay too. Do I need to say that I didn't get the job?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos