ebay scams

Chris the Ancien 14:08 20 Nov 05

I know the topic has been raised before. But...

With Chrimbo coming and all that...

I was idly browsing through ebay; wondering how much Tomtom Go 700s were fetching (not that I can afford one - or really need one) and I was gobsmacked. There were loads - and all at ricky dicky luss prices!

So I looked to see how many were bidding. Loads and loads.

Then I looked to see where they were being shipped from (China).

Then I looked at the feedbacks. Best laugh I've had in ages!

Then I looked to see if they would take PayPal. Now there's a daft thought! Needless to say, when I could find payment methods, they want Western Union. And where's the buyer's protection there?

Just a thought. All covered before here (and many times). But for newbies who may be entering these hallowed halls for for the first time, perhaps a timely warning.

mbp 14:57 20 Nov 05

If the bargain looks too good to be true, it probably is. But weigh out the risks. Are you prepared to take the risk and write it off if you were the loser? Just remember Buyer Beware !

pj123 17:22 20 Nov 05

What is "Chrimbo"?

Dan the Doctus 17:44 20 Nov 05

Christmas (literally, the Mass of Christ) is a holiday in the Christian calendar, usually observed on December 25, which celebrates the birth of Jesus. According to the Christian gospels, Jesus was born to Mary in Bethlehem, where she and her husband Joseph had traveled to register in the Roman census. Christ's birth, or nativity, was to fulfill the prophecies of Judaism that a messiah would come, from the house of David, to redeem the world from sin. Early Christians celebrated more the subsequent Epiphany, when the baby Jesus was visited by the Magi (and this is still a primary time for celebration in Spain). Efforts to assign a date for his birth, though better known from Writings from some centuries later, would have been important to all Christians then, no less than now. The precise chronology of Jesus' birth and death as well as the historicity of Jesus are still debated.

Modernists contend that December 25 was only adopted in the fourth century as a Christian holiday by the Roman Emperor Constantine, to encourage a common religious festival for both the Christians and the Pagans.

In predominantly Christian countries, Christmas has become the most economically significant holiday of the year, and it is also celebrated as a secular holiday in many countries with small Christian populations. It is largely characterized by exchanging gifts within families, and by gifts brought by Santa Claus or other mythical figures. Local and regional Christmas traditions are still rich and varied, despite the widespread influence of American and British Christmas motifs through literature, television, and other media.

"Christmas" is a contraction of "Christ's Mass", derived from the Old English Cristes m├Žsse. It is often abbreviated Xmas, probably because X or Xt have often been used as a contraction for "Christ" ("X" resembles the Greek letter Chi), the first letter of "Christ" in Greek (Christos). "Crimbo" is a synonym used in British English.

oresome 19:43 20 Nov 05

I won't ask what "ricky dickyluss" is!

josie mayhem 21:50 20 Nov 05

And on Christmas day, I will be working like any other day :{

And this includes Christmas eve, boxing day in fact all over Christmas :{{{{{{{{

wiz-king 05:39 21 Nov 05

Work goes on, animals to feed means getting up at 6 o'clock in the morning every day over Christmas. I normaly do morning feeds Monday to Friday but as I live nearest to the stables I will be doing Christmas day as well this year. Great fun breaking the ice on water troughs this week, I hope it is not cold through to next year!

Chris, I have got 'caught' once this Yuletide already, I ordered some cards from a website and got a nice letter back by snail-mail that said 'Oops you have ordered quicker than I thought anyone would, the website has only been running a week, You are my first web order, the cards are not back from the printers yet'. So I await to see what will happen. This was not by e-bay, I like you am amazed at some of the things and prices I have seen on e-bay.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…