Ebay : the contemptible and the praiseworthy

realist 17:15 13 Oct 06

I was caught out in my car the other week with a flat mobile phone battery.

Hmmmm... I thought: time to get an in-car charger.

Looked on Ebay when I got home, not sure if one would be available for my ageing Panasonic.
Sure enough I found one at an amazing price of £2.64 inc p+p.

It was a buy-it-now item so with no further thought, and breaking my own rules, I committed to buy. I thought no further of it but was re-assured to get an email from the seller a day or so later thanking me for my custom and informing me that it was in the post already.

Days went by, then more days, and I became vaguely aware I might have been conned.

I went back to the item and belatedly checked the feedback, and of course, too late, I found the seller regularly fails to send items!

As I still nevertheless needed the item I looked further on Ebay and found another seller charging only a few pence more. I bought from him/her and was amazed to receive the item in less than 24 hrs!

I have written to the first seller demanding a refund, or the item, within 10 days but of course I will not get any satisfaction. Have to mark this one down to "experience" and learn my lesson.

It's less than three quid and I think this is what threw me, I didn't imagine someone would bother to throw a trick like that for so small a sum! But then I suppose if I'd been spending thirty notes I'd have been more careful in the first instance.

Anyone else want to recount any good/bad/wacky/or whatever Ebay experiences?

spuds 18:32 13 Oct 06

Regarding the small amount, times that by 10 or 30, then you have a nice little earner. I have been recently watching a new eBay user/seller,with no feedback, who is offering an item that I am interested in. The seller as been offering this special cd item a number of times in the day over the past three days. The usual buying price at the end of the auction seems to be about the £5.70/£6.50 mark plus £2.00 for postage. I made a maximum bid of £2.01, and of course lost it to another person bidding nearly £6.00. Lo and behold, just received an email offering me a second chance buy now purchase for £2.01.

Do I now suspect something, especially as payment is via a cheque, because the seller as not opened a PayPal account. Sure I do, £4.01 better in my pocket, than perhaps theirs. But I could be wrong of course!.

Another eBay experience that occurred about six months ago. The seller was offering 20 brand new cement/concrete mixers that were supposedly from a plant hire company liquidation. Some people were bidding as much as £130.00 plus a delivery charge of £25.00.The seller added 5 more mixer's as a one day sale (making 30 in total). I made an offer of £30.00 for a mixer, and funny enough, I won that auction. Without going into details, alarm bell's started to ring when I received an email from two of the higher bidders, who were raising concerns over the auctions. The cement/concrete mixer's were truly described in the auction advertising, but what the advertiser/seller forgot to mention (in as much words), was the mixer's were ordinary contractor's shovel's capable of mixing large volumes of cement or concrete (think about it!)worth about £5.00 each at trade prices.

Two of many joyful incidents :O)

€dstowe 18:54 13 Oct 06

I think I might of posted this before but beware of offers for seats to sporting events.

What you get is a three legged canvas topped stool and instructions of how to open it in front of the TV at the time of the match/game and watch.

lisa02 01:47 14 Oct 06

I just had an ebook (who buys them???) seller bid and win my MS fingerprint reader. It sold for more than it's current retail price and I have had the money paid via paypal already.

Totally-braindead 02:17 14 Oct 06

I saw someone selling JR sunglasses, you don't need to know what they are but if you're interested they are sunglasses from JR Radio Control which are good ones for flying radio control models, anyway all thats beside the point.

He had a couple of pairs on at a time and was getting between £25 and £30 a time plus postage. I nearly bought a pair as I really liked the look of them.

Fortunatly I didn't buy them and found out later the proper retail price is, wait for it, £14.99.

And he sold them no bother at all, which goes to prove I think that some people bid on items assumming they are a bargain and not even bothering to find out what the proper price is.

spuds 12:03 14 Oct 06

Totally-braindead. Paying above the odds, is an eBay disease, called 'I must have that'.;o)

lisa02. The deeds done, when you have the funds to spend. PayPal have frozen many account ;o)

Apologies to realist, for going off tangent.

DrScott 13:14 14 Oct 06

a possible habit of the slighty unscrupulous sellers to bid for their own product under a different account, so as to encourage everyone else to bid more. When the sale finally goes through, it suddenly turns out, surprise surprise, that the 'person' who won the bid can no longer pay, hence it's dropped down to the next bidder.

Shouldn't 'no payment' lead to a fine or something to stop ebay sellers doing this?

sean-278262 13:39 14 Oct 06

"Shouldn't 'no payment' lead to a fine or something to stop ebay sellers doing this?"

How do you fine someone who can falsify all of their details? Ebay even if it tries to make out that the bids are legally standing doesnt mean a thing.

Been done over myself on ebay a good few times. Some are in the past threads on here too

- Phone (£30) never arrived seller had 150 feedback and claims to have sent it but never arrived. Expected me to wait 3 months till they managed to "reclaim the phone" from the post office.
- Sold a 40gb laptop hdd to a seller who used his previous employers account to buy it. He got his money back after leaving feedback by saying that I never sent it! However paypal never bothered to check when I said he said he had gotten it.
- Laptop with a layer of bubble wrap over it in a PS1 box. No guessing there but it didnt work on arival! Luckily for once I got my money back and that was the source of the hard drive above as I tried to get rid of what was left.

realist 15:26 14 Oct 06

"....unscrupulous sellers....bid for their own product...."

Yes, this is easily done ,of course, and with even less difficulty when the seller hides under the cloak of a so-called "private auction".

GaT7 16:17 14 Oct 06

realist, on a couple of occasions low value items that didn't turn up, & no communication from the seller despite several emails from me for 2-3 weeks. I put in PayPal (PP) complaints (they get a copy too) & the sellers refunded me within days - no questions asked, & I didn't have to pay PP anything. They now have a new dispute resolution process click here - may be worth a shot if you paid by PP?

I'm not sure if you're aware, you can also call the seller if they have a registered (& valid) phone number click here. When you go through this process, eBay will email you their address & phone number. Note that they will receive an email of your details too. I've had to do this about 5-6 times for varying reasons (once even calling a seller in USA). Fortunately, they were all nice people with 'valid' excuses & they immediately refunded me or replaced the item as applicable. I also found that diplomacy & firmness goes a long way in a resolving these issues.

Completed over 150 transactions so far (over 4 years) & I'm 95% satisfied with it all. G

spuds 16:31 14 Oct 06

Crossbow7 dispute resolution process link is well worth a read,a bit long, but very interesting.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…