eBay, beware new policies in place!!

rickf 11:55 30 Aug 14
Answered

I recently listed a high end vintage guitar. Couple of days later I took it out to have a play and fell in love with it again and changed my mind about selling. Ended the auction early as one is allowed to do. Next thing I noticed they have charged me a final value fee of £57.50 as if I had sold it. Got on to them this morning and spoke to a nice person in customer service. To cut it short he agreed to cancel the charge as it was a new policy. This was a one time offer and I was informed that you now cannot end items early without being charged a final value fee of 10% irrespective of whetehr there are bids or not. I would have understood if one was charged a reasonable penalty fee for early ending BUT a full 10% as if it was sold is way over the top. So beware.

rickf 11:57 30 Aug 14

BTW, I am still waiting for the cancellation as the charge is still on my account when I checked a few minutes ago.

spuds 12:53 30 Aug 14

eBay are bringing out a number of changes, so it might pay to check the small print before going ahead with a sale.

One thing that I have noticed more regular of late, is the offer of 'free listings'. Whether this would effect rickf's claim or anyone else, I haven't checked?.

One thing that you don't hear about much nowadays, is eBay/PayPal suspending accounts, then making it impossible for the account holder to reclaim any monies held?.

rickf 23:35 30 Aug 14

Yes, they have refunded my claim. I would have left on principle if they had not.

onthelimit1 08:45 31 Aug 14

As mentioned in an earlier post, the new rates charged are high - 10% of the selling price (to which is added the postage charge!)and then 3.4 % to paypal. I'm sure it used to be way less than that.

Joseph Kerr 09:51 01 Sep 14

I tried to end some auctions 2/3 weeks ago on my phone while I was out somewhere Sure enough, t threw up some kind of warning about charges. I paid it no mind, sighed and decided to try it later on my desktop (which is a decision I always have to make when trying to post on here from a mobile device). When I did so, it let me end them for free. Shortly before or after that - I forget - I looked it up and somewhere - sorry, I forget - it said you would not be charged for ending that kind of listing unless ids had already been placed.

All of which means, I guess, that something is wrong, or something has changed recently. Saying that, maybe the value of your guitar played a part?

I keep throwing my toys out of the pram where eBay are concerned. I may well give up on them at some point, but it is still such an easy way to sell, despite the policies I disagree with. I think it's a real liberty preventing people from selling elsewhere, charging for ending listings early, and taking a cut of your P&P.

spuds 10:23 01 Sep 14

I use eBay daily, and cannot understand why people cannot read terms and conditions. They either accept them or they do not, after all the provisions and website belongs to eBay/PayPal.

I am not saying that the terms and conditions are always in favour of a seller, because they are not, and that's probably the reason for this post, because the poster regards that they had not received fair play?.

I don't know how it stands now, but there are a number of seller's who advertise an item, with the remark 'advertised elsewhere', and even though people are making bids, the seller just pulls out of the deal.Usually at the minute, because its obvious the wanted is perhaps not going to be gained.

A case in question, I recently bid with other people for an item, and I won the auction, only to receive a response from the seller to an email I sent, that the item was suddenly was broken, and apparently my bid was not high enough, even though there was no reserve price on the item. I could have taken this up with eBay, because the seller had broken eBay rules and the contract. Just wasn't worth the bother, and put down to future experience?.

spuds 10:27 01 Sep 14

"Usually at the minute, because its obvious the wanted is perhaps not going to be gained."

Whoops - Should have read " Usually at the last minute, because its obvious what the seller wanted is perhaps not going to be gained."

Joseph Kerr 11:53 01 Sep 14
Answer

Right. So, instead of having a sensible system, people should disappoint buyers who have entered into a legally binding contract, by pulling out of a, er, legally binding contract that they, the seller, also entered into?

All you have done is say "eBay have a policy, like it or lump it". That's fine, but the last part of your post makes a wrong headed case.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5