eBay to be sued??

rickf 22:19 28 Jul 08

See here:
The Software & Information Industry Association announced yesterday it is prepared to sue the auction giant eBay "for failing to do enough to prevent the sale of pirated software" on its site.

The group also claims that eBay refuses to take several simple steps to reduce sales of the counterfeit software. The group has had years of discussions with the site but says eBay refuses to do more than simply take down the auctions that the SIIA has deemed "pirated."

"Once notified, they will do something," Keith Kuperschmid, senior VP of intellectual property policy and enforcement for SIIA said. "What they won't do is what we consider pre-emptory, proactive measures."

A couple of these measures include "placing a notification in the buyer feedback section that the seller has had pirated items removed from the site; penalize sellers of illegal software, even if it's their first offense; and develop technology to try to find repeat offenders who use multiple identities on eBay."

The group estimates that up to 75 percent of all software sold on eBay is illegal and that the volume is so large that the group cannot even identify all the offenders.

Because eBay wont listen to these "recommendations", the SIIA is now prepared to sue the auction site. The SIIA is backed by many behemoths of the industry, including IBM and Oracle.

"It continues to be on the table," Kuperschmid added. "Does that mean we will be suing anytime soon? No. But it's definitely being discussed by SIIA and its members."

EBay is not new to such lawsuits. The jewelry maker Tiffany sued the site last year to force it to become "more proactive in removing counterfeit goods" but a judge recently ruled that eBay could not be held responsible for fake goods sold on the site.

The SIAA has so far filed 32 lawsuits this year against sellers of pirated software on auction sites and has many more planned.

Permalink to this article

charmingman 23:13 28 Jul 08

rickf" this might sound exaggerated but its honestly true, my best friends step son started selling dodgy copies of films a few years ago & almost everday youd see him with a large bag load of DVD's heading off the the postoffice, he saved almost all his money he made from selling them & as of a year & half ago he went partners with a small company here in my town with the money he'd gained from selling them he now is a director of this company & they have a gross income of around £50k per month that goes into the company, he doesnt get paid that much as its nearly all put back into the company but the other two directors all get paid the same but he's got a year old mini & he's only 22....would you still say what he did was wrong..? or would you take the risk he took...

Forum Editor 23:17 28 Jul 08

It's hardly a good idea to publish details of the illegal activities of your best friend's stepson on a public web forum.

charmingman 23:50 28 Jul 08

FE i fully aggree but then again thats the beauty of forums we can all be alias's i mean ive to somehow explain what i meant the best way possible that doesnt mean that it was my best friends step son..but i wont deny i know someone close to me that REALY did what i stated..thankx for showing me a very valid point though!!

Chegs ®™ 06:39 29 Jul 08

The group estimates that up to 75 percent of all software sold on eBay is illegal and that the volume is so large that the group cannot even identify all the offenders.

but a judge recently ruled that eBay could not be held responsible for fake goods sold on the site.

The first copy/paste shows that "the group" are unable to trace all counterfeit sales so how do they expect eBay to?

The second copy/paste shows that "the group" have already failed getting the law to order the counterfeit sales be stopped by eBay.

Just my opinion,"the group" should cease trying to fight against eBay and join with eBay to hunt out the counterfeits then eBay hand over the details of the sellers to "the group" for them to take action.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…