the earthquake and communications

end 15:52 27 Dec 04

I am putting this on here.
it is a huge disaster over there, with communications and human life in a total mess;

I am in the UK, so not directly affected by it, but images on TV are horrific;

and help by various methods is needed, including by their website

via ( if I heard that right)

what a mess......and tragedy::(((

Tazfan 16:12 27 Dec 04

So terribly sad.

My heart and thoughts are with them.

VoG II 16:35 27 Dec 04

Absolutely awful.

CARE website click here

Red Cross click here

Djohn 17:52 27 Dec 04

I've said this elsewhere but we are very fortunate that here in the UK we never suffer directly from disasters of this scale. Tragic, to see and terrible at any time of the year but at this particular time even more poignant. :o(

Forum Editor 18:17 27 Dec 04

I used to live in Sri Lanka, and know it well; I can imagine what it must be like, and if I was in any doubt I have UK clients who are currently in the Island on a trip - they're sending me a stream of updates via email.

The chaos in the coastal areas affected is difficult to comprehend, and I think it will be some time before the true extent of the disaster is known - both in Sri Lanka and in the other locations affected. I am very familiar with both Phuket and Phi Phi island - location for the film "The beach" - and I know how awful it must be for the people who make their living from the tourists who come to see what must be one of the world's most beautiful beaches. It will be some time before things are back to normal, and a very long time before such places fully recover from what has been a disaster on a grand scale.

I was due to do some work in Sri Lanka in about three weeks time, but it now looks as though that trip will be postponed until my clients get their business up and running again.

cringe 19:18 27 Dec 04

Another 30,000 people missing... :( ...very sad :(

Dorsai 19:55 27 Dec 04

Which charity would be the best to make a donation to?

I want the donation i make to go where needed.

end 20:19 27 Dec 04

I have not got a clue; sorry; but might suggest you have a look at the CARE website, which is the one I saw mentioned on the TV;

as I am typing this, the news is getting worse and worse; of interest I am "medically-minded" so can "feel" for the relief teams and others in a slightly different way and appreciate the hospital"s efforts at dealing with this;

and the questions now being asked as to why the knowledge of the earthquake was not discipated by "electronic means" giving time for people to get out, or at least be warned .....

VoG II 20:36 27 Dec 04

I would suggest Oxfam click here for donations.

Even hit as far is africa,

Tis a terrible accident, my thoughts are with everyone out there and i hope that people will help where possible...

It's Me 20:48 27 Dec 04

I can only imagine how helpless they must all have felt.

It is only just over a week ago that we had a quake here. 100+km out to sea, 5.4 on the scale. I was stood up at the time and I couldn't control myself from stumbling, and by the time it was over, 5 secs. we were left wondering whether or not we had dreamed it and what we should have done. The Algarve, here, got the worst of it.

Apparently they had a bad quake in the 80s and since then all buildings have to be built to with stand this size of tremor. mind you they had a bad one in the 18th Century that flattened most of Lagos, where we are, and the capital Lisbon.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…