The ears have it!!!

canarieslover 19:35 PM 02 May 12

I can remember being able to detect a For - Next loop running in a Spectrum program just by the noise generated by the motherboard. Apparently it is still possible to detect what a modern computer is doing by the noise generated, among other variations. My hearing must have degenerated since my Spectrum days as all I can hear are the fans and the occasional noise from the hard drive. What is your computer telling others?

Aitchbee 21:52 PM 02 May 12

Superman's heroic powers waned when he was exposed to GREEN KRYPTONITE...everybody who goes/go online similarly lose their privacy (powers), and are fair game for criminal and malicious attacks.

namtas 22:05 PM 02 May 12

The only sound that troubles me is the noise of a PC system closing down when you haven't switched anything off.

Condom 22:06 PM 02 May 12

As a fellow Glaswegian you have even lost me on this one! One of us has had to much bevvy tonight and I don't think it is me hic :-))

Aitchbee 22:26 PM 02 May 12

Condom - my Superman analogy was an attempt to illustrate the intangible nature of the 'workings' of the Internet and the incomprehensiveness of the workings of modern-day devices to the layman.

Condom 22:33 PM 02 May 12

Wonderful, that explains everything which is now as clear as mud to me :-))

Chegs ®™ 05:19 AM 03 May 12

I'd love to see a hacker gain anything from listening to my other desktop,it sounds like a hovercraft when running games as all the fans drown out conversation they're so loud...& every few minutes there's a loud click which appears to be the hard drive failing as its taken it over 3hrs to download/install updates & has been telling me its shutting down(restart required after Win 7 updates to clean install)for the last hour.

finerty 12:06 PM 03 May 12

the noise n my pc is when it alarms if its overheating, that i must take action

interzone55 13:17 PM 03 May 12

I used be able to tell if my modem was going to connect successfully by the noises it made

SimpleSimon1 14:05 PM 03 May 12

That the graphics card fan bearing is shot!

Aitchbee 15:38 PM 03 May 12

canarieslover...I hope you don't mind me plugging a Radio4 programmme on at 16:30 this afternoon 'Material World' - it's about sounds that make people might say it's ... an ear-plug.

ps. I wonder if the sound of a faulty hard-disk grinding away is in their Top Twenty.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Android apps 2015/2016: Best apps for your new phone or tablet - what apps should I download?

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Uniqlo uses your brain waves to find your perfect T-shirt

What everyone thinks of the new Steve Jobs movie | 21 Facts about the Steve Jobs film | PLUS:…