Early start to cricket?

smartpoly 08:48 31 Jul 09

Why not start play at 9:00am to make up for yesterday?

I am 2 miles from Edgebaston, bright sunny morning 19 deg C, light breeze.
Rain expexted Saturday, sureley there is room for manouver in the start times?

interzone55 08:58 31 Jul 09

Many people will be travelling long distance to get to the ground, not everyone going to the game lives in Edgebaston and Selly Oak.

I would have thought changing the Sky schedule would probably be difficult at such short notice.

The players tend to warm up for an hour or so before the game, starting at 9 would either mean they can't have the warm up session, or they have to start their day very early, which I think may cause Freddie some problems...

Stuartli 13:08 31 Jul 09

Anderson and Onions didn't need any damp wickets...:-)

Quickbeam 19:54 31 Jul 09

"sureley there is room for manouver in the start times?"
You're talking of umpire flexibility there. Flexibility and cricket don't go hand in hand. I've been at matches where play has been stopped for rain for say an hour and a half, play resume for 10 minutes, and then it's tea time!

laurie53 20:54 31 Jul 09

The reason cricket does not start earlier is to allow the dew to burn off the grass.

This is set way back in MCC lore, and I believe originally was a safety consideration (long before H & S was ever thought up).

I personally also think that it also has something to do with the days of Gentlemen and Players.

Gentlemen were not normally up and about much before around 11.00.

Quickbeam 01:10 01 Aug 09

"The reason cricket does not start earlier is to allow the dew to burn off the grass."
Same reason that farmers don't harvest serial crops before lunch then:)

Stuartli 12:41 01 Aug 09

No possibility of an early start arose today...:-)

user8 17:53 01 Aug 09

If better drainage was put in then play could have started.
For to long old grounds have got by, but this seems to have changed now with new improved drainage grounds like The Rosebowl, The Riverside & SWALEC ground all getting test match's.
May be the ECB need to look in to this as refunding for the loss of todays play will hit them in their pockets!!!

Quickbeam 10:50 02 Aug 09

Most of the test grounds have spent a lot of money over the last 10 years improving stands and facilities, I think they will now have to do major ground work to control a high water table ruining a test match.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…