Early release of Prisoners

Monoux 12:55 23 Jun 07

I've just read on teletext that those prisoners being relesed early because of overcrouding in prisons are to recieve an average of £172.00 each in compensation for loss of board and lodgings.

No wonder people feel the criminal is better treated than the victims

Please can I have a presciption for this drug that will relieive my pain and suffering. No sorry we can't afford it.

I've commited a crime and been locked up but I'm being released early, sorry about that have some money to tide you over

Says it all really - what a country we live in. Never mind the do gooders will be happy

User-1159794 13:31 23 Jun 07

Pah,£172.00 is that all.

When I've had to put up with sharing living accommodation with a lot of other men,some of whom are not very nice chaps, three meals a day,a warm cell,telly, the odd bit of exercise.

Next you'll be wanting me to get a proper job and keep me nose clean

Rapscallion
(alias, light fingered Joe)

FEEBS 20:12 23 Jun 07

They have to let some prisoners out to make way for the pensioners who can't now pay their council tax because Gordon MacBroon has pinched all their money to give to the unemployable, workshy and immigrants

Chegs ®™ 20:21 23 Jun 07

I heard this on the radio lastnite and was sooooo tempted to go thump a copper so I get locked up,then when I'm released I'll qualify for these payouts.

interzone55 21:59 23 Jun 07

Can you please look at this sensibly.

The prisons are full, something has to be done, but building new prisons is out of the question because no-one wants them in their back yard.

The £170 payment is an average figure, and equates to £10 per day that their sentence has been cut short.
The payment must be made as by law the released prisoners cannot claim social security until their official release date.

If they didn't get this money they would have no way of paying for food, so would have to resort to breaking the law again in order to eat.

In other words it's the lesser of two evils

spuds 22:08 23 Jun 07

"In other words it's the lesser of the two evils".
What's the betting that some of those released, will commit further offences!.

Chegs ®™ 00:18 24 Jun 07

"If they didn't get this money they would have no way of paying for food, so would have to resort to breaking the law again in order to eat."

As something like 80% of those imprisoned commit further offences on release it still wont effect a cure for the overcrowding,more likely to increase taxation to the law-abiding as the money will have to come from somewhere.

Monoux 08:34 24 Jun 07

"Can you please look at this sensibly." - Despite certain politicians attempts to cover the UK with concrete to build on there are still some remote places where prisons could have been built. Governments ( not just the current one ) have ignored advice to build / create more prison spaces- probably to save money.

The perception is of a softness on crime and better treatment of criminals than their victims.

This let them out early scheme is just another way in which that perception has been reinforced

georgemac © 08:48 24 Jun 07

at the end of the day, they would probably get the £10 per day from social security anyway, and £10 per day is less than the cost of keeping them in prison.

Still, the message that the honest hard working majority in this country get is that prison is no longer about punishment for committing a crime, I agree rehabilitation is important, but so is punishment. I would like to see punishment mean more than removal of liberty, they should do some form of meaningful work, and I would have no problem with this being at minimum wage payment which perhaps 50% could be kept in a an account for them which they would get on release to help them fit back into society.

spuds 11:51 24 Jun 07

We seem to have missed a point about 'punishment' payments, in the fact that some convicted people have recently taken the Home Office and Prison Service to court,and won their cases, because the convicted persons humane rights had been taken away. Large compensation payments have been made due to 'not being provided with drug rehab programmes' while serving their time.

Regarding payments from social services, its surprising the amount of people who turn up at a police station usually Tuesdays and Thursdays requesting a crime reference number, because their giro payment was stolen or gone missing. Usually its any member of the same family who seems to have this regular problem.

Forum Editor 12:24 24 Jun 07

Thank you for casting a ray of sensible light on the subject.

It always amazes me that so many people talk about 'the government' as if it's some entity that's come here from a different planet - nothing to do with us at all. They completely overlook the fact that 'the government' was voted into office by us, and the money that's spent comes from us - we're all in it together.

If we don't have enough prison space it's our fault - it means that we attach a higher priority to things other than building new prisons, or reforming the way we view crime. If all of us put our money where our mouth is, and actually did something to give our children a proper set of values we wouldn't run out of prison space - it didn't happen fifty years ago, when people had a greater sense of respect for each other, and for the community as a whole.

We've created the problem, not 'the government', and it's no good moaning when the people who run the system do the only thing they can do to try to keep things going.

Build more prisons? Yes, of course we can, and no doubt we will, but wouldn't it be better if we all took some responsibility for the way we teach our children about what's right and what's wrong, instead of whingeing away about 'the government' all the time? Spend less time thinking 'me first', and more time thinking about what kind of society we really want, and we might get somewhere.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…