Ear WaxRemoval!!

Mary_S 11:00 09 Mar 09

Dear All,
Last night in the shower, some water got in my ear and i believe it has reacted with some ear wax, and has slightly blocked my ear. Its not that bad, but i can feel an obvious difference to before it. Online, I've noticed that local chemists sell ear drops containing peroxide which should clear up such problems. However, given the sensiitivity of an ear I am reluctant to just try it without some opionions.
If anyone has tried such a product i would appreciate your view or from anyone who knows about them.
The link below is of Otex Ear Drops sold by Boots.
click here

Thank You

justme 11:05 09 Mar 09

If you are in the least worried about the safety of these products I would suggest going to your doctor or their practice nurse and ask them to check whether it is wax or an infection.

It only takes a quick look in your ear for them to see what the problem is and they can then advise you on the best course of action.

gardener 11:17 09 Mar 09

A few drops of olive oil in the affected ear loosens the wax. Peroxide remedies can cause irritation if used to often.

NewestRoyWidd1 11:43 09 Mar 09

When I had excessive ear wax a few months ago,my doctor advised using warm olive oil to loosen it,then a visit to the practice nurse.
They don't syringe ears these days,but use a machine that pulses warm water to finally remove the wax.

Taff™ 11:44 09 Mar 09

Otex ear drops worked for me on a couple of occasions over the years but I agree with justme - get your local surgery to have a look for you.

Stuartli 11:48 09 Mar 09

The main thing is not to start poking cotton buds or hair grips into your ears - anything smaller than your elbow should be avoided is the motto.

Stuartli 11:50 09 Mar 09

Otex is very effective and has been around for a long time, but you can get low cost alternatives at your local pharmacy, whose staff will be able to offer advice on what is the best way to deal with the problem.

Covergirl 12:18 09 Mar 09

. . . it's very effective "in my case". What works for one person may not work for another.

However, us laymen here on this forum are not qualified to offer any other advice than "go see your own doctor". Hope this helps.

scotty 12:39 09 Mar 09

As an alternative, have you considered sticking a candle in your ear?
click here

I cannot comment on their effectiveness as I have never tried one but the idea seemed so funny I thought I would bring them to your attention. Saw these being advertised when I was on holiday last year. My kids still laugh about the poster.

oresome 12:54 09 Mar 09

I would advise warm olive oil. Proprietry solutions are likely to make the skin sore if used much.

sunnystaines 13:00 09 Mar 09

warm olive oil as mentioned each night for a week if not shifted go to gp and and get nurse to squirt it out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos