E Coli

morddwyd 19:37 19 Sep 09

The present clutch of E Coli cases is very sad and very worrying for those concerned, but how come farmers' kids live long enough to become healthy adults?

I'm sure that, like most children, they are not particularly conscientious about hand washing.

Similarly, anyone who's played ball games in a rural environment has had to pick the ball up and wipe it on some grass before kicking/chucking it back, and later wiping their skin.

There must surely be some sort of immunity which can build up, so can this be used to form a vaccine/antidote?

rdave13 19:47 19 Sep 09

Could it be that today we're possibly too hygienic?
I'm sure farmers children run and play in the usual farm's mud and muck and may create a natural immunization to these germs.

Jak_1 20:44 19 Sep 09

Looks like there is a study underway to test the theory that frequent exposure to E coli does provide an immunity.

click here

Spark6 20:56 19 Sep 09

Personnally I cannot understand why parents of toddlers, being brought up in urban surroundings, need to expose their children to such risks. I agree with the professor who has criticised the adults who allow this. Older children are less at risk because of the immunity they have built up.

spuds 21:31 19 Sep 09

Perhaps off subject slightly. But when we talk about sterile areas and the like, I am sure that the soldiers in the two World Wars had many bugs to contend with. Surprising how some of these people survived and have lived to a great age.

A number of years ago, a long term neighbour of mine had to go to hospital for a minor operation, something that is performed many times a day around the UK and perhaps the world. He had worked all his life without any undue concerns or ill health, in fact he finished work in his seventies. This minor operation resulted in complications and 'bug' infection, which resulted in death. Now I often wonder, are we getting weaker or are bugs getting stronger, especially in supposed 'natural' or perhaps germ-free areas!.

Woolwell 21:41 19 Sep 09

I suspect that many children are not exposed to the germs/bacteria and therefore do not build up an immunity. I do not recall these cases of e-coli in the past but perhaps we were not so aware of the problem.

The problem with people wanting to stroke and cuddle farm animals is that they are regarded as cuddly toys rather than the animals that they are.

Jak_1 21:50 19 Sep 09

As in all walks of life, things evolve, and so it is with bugs. They themselves build up immunities to antibiotics. This has not been helped in the past by the overuse of antibiotics. Also, a lot of people, when they are prescribed antibiotics, never complete the regime because the 'feel better' after just a couple of days and so stop taking the antibiotic. By doing this, the patient in all probability still has a receding infection and by stopping taking the antibiotic is not clearing this. This often results in that particular strain on the organism building up a resistance to that particular antibiotic. Quite often when people do this, they then have the same infection a few eeks later and find that if they are prescribed the same antibiotic that it fails because that bacteria has built up a resistance to it. Also, antibiotic will not touch viruses, so if a doctor tells you that you have a viral infection, don't expect antibiotic cover!

Chegs ®™ 01:01 20 Sep 09

Older children are less at risk because of the immunity they have built up.

I would have agreed with this were it not for the fact I was catching up on the local news(I only read the local paper,& am still 2 weeks behind)and came across a story about an old schoolfriend who was infected with E.Coli whilst on holiday(he is 46yrs old)It has destroyed his liver & kidneys,he has spent many weeks in hospital,has to travel 90 miles every other day for dialysis and had to be "medically retired" and the solicitor that successfully secured his compensation says "I understand that if he were to have a transplant,it would have to be liver and kidney.Sadly,three people have had that operation and all of them died"The time span for this was Oct 04 he went on holiday,nov 20/04 he contracted the E.Coli bug and by the time he returned to the UK he had lost a stone in weight,jan 2005 his health deteriorated,in february he was suffering end stage kidney failure.E.Coli is a very nasty bug and the farms involved in this outbreak should have been closed immediately it was discovered/suspected,even if only until it was confirmed by testing.The farms werent closed as nobody was prepared to be held accountable,with the tragic consequences for several young children.

wiz-king 07:14 20 Sep 09

The strain of E coli is the important thing, 0157 is a particularly virulent strain for some reason. Most strains will cause mild symptoms but this one seems vicious in humans.

morddwyd 14:33 20 Sep 09

"I cannot understand why parents of toddlers, being brought up in urban surroundings, need to expose their children to such risks."

Of course, far more children are killed in car crashes than by E.Coli, so perhaps we shouldn't be exposing children to such risks by allowing them to travel in cars?

For Heaven's Sake! Children have the right to be children, and to enjoy the things that children enjoy, and to grow up widening their experiences.

Spark6 14:40 20 Sep 09

You are entitled to your opinion. However, the simile you have used is as strange as your reason for changing your 'handle'. Please try a little harder.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's most powerful…

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple