DVLA log book V5C

Desperate-Dan 09:20 14 Oct 10

Hi, I'm selling my car soon, I haven't sold a car before, in section 6 on the V5C log book for new keeper it says driver number, does this mean The new owner has to put his driver license number in?
your help is appreciated

961 11:53 14 Oct 10

This section is for the buyer to complate if it is a private sale

Note that some details, including driver number, are not required by law

For your own protection I advise you to send the documents to DVLA by special delivery, or recorded delivery so that you get a receipt from the mail, as it is up to you to prove you sent them if, as sometimes happens, the DVLA make a mess up

If you part exchange or sell to a garage or motor dealer ensure that you send these documents to DVLA. Do NOT rely on the motor dealer to "do it for you"

Chris the Ancient 12:21 14 Oct 10

I concur with 961's bit on 'relying on the dealer'.

Some time back, my ex and I traded in her car at a reputable local dealer that I had used a couple of times and we 'relied on them' to do the paperwork. Hmmm... Obviously, they must have put it through an auction (well, it was a little on the old side - but still sound, reliable and in good condition).

About one month later, she started getting a series of parking tickets for the car from a city about 60 miles away. Fortunately, we had a verifiable paper trail of documentation that got the tickets quashed. However, they stopped coming after about another couple of months; so it looks as though the car must have been written off, further traded or scrapped.

Desperate-Dan 13:11 14 Oct 10

Thanks for help, I'll take your advice about sending to to the DVLA recorded delivery

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017