Drunk in Charge of a Bike

Pesala 19:46 11 Apr 09

Is a £1,000 fine or up to 1 month in prison enough? click here

In Poland it can be up to two years. Is that draconian? click here It seems not unreasonable to me, depending on the circumstances.

octal 21:00 11 Apr 09

The very first line is the one they should be enforcing
"It is against the law to ride on footpaths or pavements by the roadside. Magistrates can fine £1000."

The pure arrogance of them gets me.

Si_L 22:03 11 Apr 09

If there is no footpath then I cycle on the pavement every time. I am always polite and slow right down or jump off if someone is on the path. Due to some bad experiences of cycling on the road (been in two collisions, neither my fault) I tend to avoid them unless absolutely necessary. Its worth the risk.

Pesala 22:14 11 Apr 09

I don't have a problem with cyclists on footpaths, even if they're drunk, as long as they are cycling slowly with due consideration for pedestrians. I do get a fright sometimes when a cyclist whizzes past me from behind.

Arrogant pedestrians can sometimes be a hazard, as can drunk pedestrians.

rdave13 23:17 11 Apr 09

A bicycle is a vehicle, motorised or not, and should be under the same law as any vehicle driven while under the influence of alcohol in my opinion.
They should not be ridden on pavements either as a small child or elderly person can come to some serious harm as, to what I see locally, with some bone-headed cyclists.

Stuartli 23:59 11 Apr 09

One of my mates used to be a traffic cop; I once asked him why the police so rarely prosecuted cyclists riding on the pavement.

His response was that, especially at night, they were far less at risk than on the roads.

rdave13 00:19 12 Apr 09

At night hardly any pedestrians on the pavements so a logical conclusion. The bone-head cyclists I'm talking about are normally inebriated and cycling during the day.

WhiteTruckMan 00:26 12 Apr 09

that drunk in charge of a keyboard isn't an offence. Yet.

WTM

robgf 01:05 12 Apr 09

There is no excuse for any adult, or child over eleven to be cycling on the path. If you follow the highway code and ride sensibly, you are safe enough on the road, the biggest hazard being the large pot holes everywhere.

Sadly, most of the cyclists I see, ride with no regard for the rules and lack even basic lights, which is ridiculous given how good and cheap led lights are now. It is very common to see prats riding along at night, with a helmet on, but no lights, sheer stupidity.

The government has started a new version of the cycling proficiency test, so hopefully we should see an improvement in cycling standards over the next few years.
It would be nice, to not be considered eccentric, because I ride on the road, stop at traffic lights, pedestrian crossings etc and have lights on my bike.

click here

Chegs ®™ 02:27 12 Apr 09

I used to cycle to school but I wouldnt want my daughter to,the amount of traffic on the roads especially on wet mornings around the school is far to dangerous.The journey is all uphill going to school and she'd probably wheel it most of the way there anyway.

Forum Editor 07:12 12 Apr 09

are a total nuisance, and the habit seems to have become universal. I've seen a couple of accidents involving a cylist and a pedestrian, both caused by inconsiderate cyclists charging along a pavement.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5