Drug-taking Prisoners

Curio 11:07 13 Nov 06

click here
What is this country coming to? How on earth did this get Legal Aid?

WhiteTruckMan 11:30 13 Nov 06

money will end up being sniffed, injected or swallowed?

As for the bit about not agreeing to a treatment regeme, well if they come in without being on a proper medical rehab scheme they should get nothing. squat. diddley. Let them go cold turkey.

Dont like that? good. then dont do the crime.

WTM

SB23 11:53 13 Nov 06

I've just read a blog on this subject.
Personally, I think its ridiculous that they should get anything, with no excuses. I always believed that prison was a punishment, also it looks like they had help getting this far. What on earth is happening to this country?

The baddie has more rights that the honest individual.
Very sad.

Mr Mistoffelees 12:10 13 Nov 06

I fully agree with you, prison should be a punishment, not a few months or years of easy life with free board and lodgings.

Bingalau 12:17 13 Nov 06

I'm thinking of throwing a brick through a jewellers window, so that I can land in jail for Christmas with it's lash up meals and pressies etc. ..Bingalau..

johndrew 12:18 13 Nov 06

Given that taking these types of habit forming drugs causes crime and hence fill prisons, would it not be better that those committed to HMP be permitted to abstain from such practices?

Or to put it another way, let the whole lot of them go `cold turkey`, save the taxpayer money and (with luck) they would be more valuable human beings on their release.

Additionally, to take their minds off of the discomfort caused, a good dose of physical exercise in the quarry could be prescribed! Much better than being paid for playing scrabble.

vinnyT 13:32 13 Nov 06

Free up prison space - let 'em all od.

lisa02 14:36 13 Nov 06

Pure madness.

Crime and drug abuse really do pay!

Forum Editor 18:22 13 Nov 06

approximately 70% of all male prisoners test positive for drugs at the time of their arrest. This is a huge problem, and has many ramifications.

One of them is that drug-using prisoners who are faced with 'cold-turkey' are likely to enter the prison drug-dealing sub-culture, thus perpetuating it. It would probably be better in the long run if drug-addicted prisoners were helped to come off whatever substance they're using in a controlled way. Then they would be less likely to want to obtain drugs in prison, and less likely to go back into addiction when released.

It would probably benefit society more (both socially and economically) to do it that way, rather than the forced 'cold turkey' regime that some of you seem to favour.

I also think that the out-of-court settlement solution in this case was barmy, by the way.

egapup 19:07 13 Nov 06

"caused unnecessary pain and suffering" WHO CARES!!!! They're crimminals, if they cant do the time they shouldn't have done the crime.

WhiteTruckMan 19:25 13 Nov 06

Exactly!

And if they are looking for sympathy, its in the dictionary between s**t and syphillis.

WTM

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…