DRM - another view

DieSse 01:44 29 Apr 05

Read Micheal Robertsons view on Digital Rights Management (Digital Restrictions Management, as he calls it) click here

Joe R 11:14 29 Apr 05

very interesting article, and one which will be a cause for debate.

I tend to agree with the author on almost all of the article, with the exception being, that I do not think users will allow themselves to be dictated to, on the type of software, that can be used on their P.C.

As for downloading music, I may be in a minority here, but why should I pay over the odds to download tracks, which can only be played on certain hardware which I may have.

As an example, I recently purchased the double CD " Now 60 " for my kids. This consists of approximately 40 recent chart hits, and has been ripped onto the kids P.C., and they can listen to the CD, on any type of audio system. To download these track, would cost just under the £40 mark, and they would be restricted, as to where and what they could be played on.

As I said before, surely it is better to purchase the cd, and have very limited restrictions, than pay more for less.

Joe R 11:15 29 Apr 05

P.S., Now 60 cost me the princely sum of £12.99.

Joe R 17:13 29 Apr 05

Kate B,

yes I do believe that technically what i am doing, may be illegal, but I wouldn't think that any of the big recording companies, would take any action for this type of thing.

DieSse 00:13 01 May 05

bump - just a bit longer

smokingbeagle 12:46 01 May 05

The earlier thread on "Trusted computing" makes interesting reading as well.

click here

Forum Editor 13:41 01 May 05

I deleted a duplicate post by Kate B, and for some reason best known to itself the server has removed both copies. I can't revive it I'm afraid Kate - your words of wisdom have gone forever.

Wolz 03:36 01 Jul 05

If record companies would cease to be so tight fisted and greedy, and reduce the prices of CDs, which, once in production, cost them next to nothing to manufacture, then more people would be able to afford them and buy more of them.
Sales would increase, and pirating would be less appealing and profitable for the pirates.
A simple solution which would leave everyone happy.
Even with DRM, people can record tracks to their computers by connecting a cable from their hi fi to the input of their computer, thereby bypassing any DRM anyway, so the whole thing is just an expensive and not so funny joke.
Serves them all right. They deserve to be ripped off, after all, isn't that what they've been doing to us for years?

helmetshine 11:06 01 Jul 05

Whilst the cost of a CD once it's in production may be minimal the cost of getting it there almost certainly isn't and those cost have to be added to the pure production cost to work out how much each CD really costs them.And thats forgetting the marketing and distribution costs.I'm not saying they don't overcharge but the simple production cost of a CD doesn't bear much relation to how much each unit has actually cost by the time the CD hits the shelf.
Not all of the releases will sell enough to even cover the costs let alone make a profit....those costs will also be included so every CD you buy has some amount in the price which is to cover the losses on the unsuccessful ones.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…