The Driving Test

pj123 17:09 11 Jul 07

How long does the actual on the road bit of the driving test last these days.

I live close to a Driving Test Centre and my road seems to be part of the test circuit.

I see many L cars a day doing 3 point turns, emergency stops and reverse parking behind a parked car etc.

When I did my test in 1961 it took a whole 30 minutes. I drove around for a bit then I did a 3 point turn (which had to be a 3 point turn). I did an emergency stop, reversed round a corner, some parking and then answered about 5 questions on the Highway Code. It cost me £1.

Jackcoms 17:16 11 Jul 07

"How long does the actual on the road bit of the driving test last these days."

It's still about 30/35 minutes

Diemmess 17:37 11 Jul 07

I recommend anyone with time to spare to take the Institute of Advanced Motorists course and exam. Its a charitable trust, observers are all trained and experienced drivers and voluteers, so that the total cost is far less than the statutory test.

The test is still a heart stopper, trying to drive safely, smoothly, and quickly under the watchful eye of the ex-police advanced driving examiner.

This test takes just an hour and a half over a course which covers everything from packed shopping high street, to country lanes and motorways.
The result is that I am more relaxed, yet alert and enjoy driving in a way I haven't done for many years.
Also I hope a safer driver, which is the intended result of the training.

P.S.
I took my original driving test/s in 1950. No I didn't make it first time!
In those days swotting the Highway Code, having as many lessons as friends or family with old cars would give, and about 30 minutes in the centre of Brum without apprearing to be a hazard to other road users was all it took.

Cymro. 17:38 11 Jul 07

Anyone know what the driving test is like in other countries?

Jackcoms 17:53 11 Jul 07

I took and passed the IAM test in 1983.

As Diemmess says, since taking the test I actually enjoy driving rather than simply seeing it as a means of getting from A to B.

It's unfortunate, however, that to be safer on the road it's still necessary to assume that 99.99% of other drivers on the road haven't taken a test of any description.

interzone55 20:18 11 Jul 07

Can't comment for now, but the Test in Pakistan used to involve driving forward for 150 yards, then reversing for 150 yards. If you managed this without injury to yourself or the car you passed.

Jackcoms 20:45 11 Jul 07

"If you managed this without injury to yourself or the car you passed"

Presumably, therefore, if you happened to run over and kill 10 pedestrians whilst carrying out these same manoeuvres that also counted as a pass?

Bingalau 21:19 11 Jul 07

I also think more people should take the Institute of Advanced Motorists test. When I took mine I was required to give a running commentary as I drove along.. Now when I am on my own I still talk to myself and find it helps keep me more alert to what might happen. If I talk away when the my boss/wife is with me she would have the men with white jackets waiting to take me away. (only joking folks). By the way I understand that there is no such manouver as a three point turn in the test. You are required to cause the vehicle to face in the opposite direction with the use of forward and reverse gears. You can do it in five moves if you so wish. I also passed my driving test in Singapore, if you can drive safely there you can drive safely anywhere. By the way in this country the first rule of the road is to drive on the left. In Malta it used to be, Drive in the shade...

interzone55 21:22 11 Jul 07

If any of those pedestrians some much as scuffed the bumper you failed...

Hitting people wasn't an option, as the tests I saw took place in a deserted car park.

bluto1 21:31 11 Jul 07

...and don't forget to avoid the potholes!!

WhiteTruckMan 21:54 11 Jul 07

A long time ago I once lent my little reliant kitten (like a robin but with 4 wheels) to a friend to take his test, because his (fathers) car suffered mechanical failure the day before. When it came to the turning in the road bit apparently the examiner was surprised when my friend simply did it in a U-turn, such was the small turning circle of the car. The only thing with 4 wheels I have ever seen turn tighter is a fork lift truck. Apparently they had to find a narrower road to do the maneuver, so reverse gear had to be used!

WTM

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…