Drains - Blocked - Bill. Drains - Blocked - Bill. Drains - Blocked - Bill....

Aitchbee 14:32 17 Aug 11

My local housing authority has been clearing my drain all year long. Has anybody experienced anything like it?

Aitchbee 14:48 17 Aug 11

I cannot control what people flush down their toilets, but I am paying for it. I live in a block of flats. I own my flat. But I have to pay for maintenence. Usually 1/8. And I can't do anything about it :0(

Pine Man 15:23 17 Aug 11

Not entirely sure what you mean.

Maintenance you pay for your flat should cover the sewage to the outside of the building where it then becomes the water companies responsibility.

What is this 1/8 you are paying?

birdface 16:03 17 Aug 11

Normally it is our council that clears choked sewage pipes and would not be the water company's job.

Ours has been choked a few times but the lad next door[Council tenant] phones the council and the council phones an outside contractor to fix it.

So far I have not had any bills for it.

BT 17:10 17 Aug 11

Maintenance you pay for your flat should cover the sewage to the outside of the building where it then becomes the water companies responsibility.

The water companies responsibility only starts at the boundary of your property with the street, until then its yours. Must agree that the service charges should cover this eventuality,but it all depends on what your management company has agreed with the residents.

woodchip 18:38 17 Aug 11

Drains have been taken over by water authority on public Property recent, so you should not have to pay for that, only the one in the flat the serves your flat is what you now pay for

cruiser2 19:36 17 Aug 11

Live in a three bedroom semi detached house. Manhole is in drive near pavement. On a Friday afternoon recentlyfound the water from the sink was nopt flwoing away quickly. Fortunately we are covered for blocked darins under our househol insurance policyat no extra cost. Phoned insurance company at 2.40 p.m. They rang back at 3.05 p.m to say someone would be with us within two hours. Dynorod appeared at 4.20 p.m. It took nearly an hour to clear the obstruction. Have not paid anything for this work as we only have to pay if the cost is more than £1500.00. Slightly different to the original post but shows that there is good service available in an emergebcy.

cruiser2 19:36 17 Aug 11

Live in a three bedroom semi detached house. Manhole is in drive near pavement. On a Friday afternoon recentlyfound the water from the sink was nopt flwoing away quickly. Fortunately we are covered for blocked darins under our househol insurance policyat no extra cost. Phoned insurance company at 2.40 p.m. They rang back at 3.05 p.m to say someone would be with us within two hours. Dynorod appeared at 4.20 p.m. It took nearly an hour to clear the obstruction. Have not paid anything for this work as we only have to pay if the cost is more than £1500.00. Slightly different to the original post but shows that there is good service available in an emergebcy.

Aitchbee 19:42 17 Aug 11

Pine Man:- Here is a Breakdown of Completed Works (COMMON REPAIR ACCOUNT) Description of Service: Drain is blocked Repair Number:W00535685/1 Labour Plant

Clear blocked main drainage line, up to 20.0m long 26.16 20.51
Extra for each additional 5.00 m length 3.64 5.31 Clear blocked main drainage line, up to 10.0m long 7.70 9.90 Clear out debris, flush through as required using high pressure jet, refit cover 24.65 5.66 Clean out gullies,remove debris, silt and all waste material 20.35 0.00

Totals 82.50 41.38 123.88

Aitchbee 19:55 17 Aug 11

Sorry, the formatting did not work out as planned. The point I am making is, I have to pay 15-20 pounds every 2 or 3 months for a blocked drain. If a drain is cleared, surely, (don't call me shirley) it should not get blocked again for a while. This has been going on for Ten Years. I have had 3 bills this year, so far. I have complained, in person, to Glasgow Housing Association already. 6 of the 8 flats in the block are tenents, 2 are home owners. HB

woodchip 20:00 17 Aug 11

as I said I just got a Letter about three weeks ago to say that It was a Gov directive that Water companies take over all drains other than on your own Property. they are now responsible to keep them clear.

From Oct Responsibility for sewers after 1 October 2011

From 1 October 2011, water and sewerage companies will take responsibility for all private sewers and lateral drains that connect to the public sewer.

Water companies won’t take over responsibility for private sewers that:

* are connected to a private pumping station and treatment works
* carry water directly to a watercourse, like a river, or into the ground (for example, a soakaway)

Householders will still be responsible for drains.

The Consumer Council for Water website has diagrams showing who is currently responsible for what and how the transfer in October will affect you.

Click Hear

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…