Downing Street E-Petitions

interzone55 15:13 03 Jul 07

As anyone who has signed an e-petition knows, it is just a waste of time, as you only get one of two responses

1) It's not our fault, so refer your complaint to x

2) everything's actually hunky dory, so there's no need to change anything.

Someone has nicely started a petition to scrap the e-petition system as it's just a waste of time & money

Sign it here click here

Cymro. 16:18 03 Jul 07

It was only a couple of days ago I signed such a petition to No. 10. I was asked to do so by a friend and to be honest I reckoned it to be waste of time. But it was on a subject I believed in and I did not want to say no to a friend. So I signed without giving it too much thought. Mind you I think most people sign any petition without thinking too much about it. So I don`t suppose professional politicians do take very much notice of such things.

wolfie3000 16:32 03 Jul 07

Only one word for that, Irony!!

lisa02 16:36 03 Jul 07

Indeed wolfie, and I will not be signing it.

If people perhaps posted petitions on serious issues instead of daft ones....

spuds 16:44 03 Jul 07

I thought that I would never make such a statement. But following through some of the responses from Downing Street et al, e-petitions appears to be another 'spin-off' and a total waste of time.

Bit like some of the public heavily funded watchdogs, and their achievements for public concern :O(

Cymro. 17:52 03 Jul 07

lisa0 said "If people perhaps posted petitions on serious issues instead of daft ones"

What you may consider serious, others may consider daft.
Go on tell us what you consider serious and what you consider daft.

Totally-braindead 18:57 03 Jul 07

As many of you may know, I started a petition about the difference in pricing by Microsoft on Vista in the UK and the US, I did not start it with any real hope that the government would try to force Microsoft to alter their pricing. It was more of an attempt to advertise that Microsoft were, and still are, in my opinion ripping us off.
The FE tried to get some sort of answer off Microsoft as to why the UK pay so much more than the US and I don't think he got an answer that stood up to any sort of scrutiny.
Sadly its been forgotten about, Microsoft still charge us more that are US counterparts and will continue to do so, not that I thought they would change their minds.
I guess they knew that any arguements and bad publicity would blow over and it has.
The petitions are more a gimmick than anything else, some of them are plainly stupid, I remember reading one about getting Tony Blair to stick his head in a bucket of ice cream. If those that check the petitions allow such stupid petitions to be allowed is it any wonder its seen as being much use as a chocolate fireguard. If it isn't taken seriously by those that decide what petitions to allow then no one would take them seriously.

Forum Editor 19:02 03 Jul 07

This is a classic case of 'you're damned if you do, and you're damned if you don't' isn't it?

We want a government that's more transparent, and one that listens to us, and then, when they start something that's an attempt to be just that, we go all cynical, and say it's a waste of time.

Of course there'll be silly petitions - there are a lot of silly people out there - but that's not the point. The E-petition facility is one way that the government might get an idea of the kinds of things which bug us, and occasionally there will be something that influences the way ministers think. Surely that's a step in the right direction?

anskyber 19:10 03 Jul 07

Yes, it is a step in the right direction.

For anyone who thinks that having a petition is enough to change the world, or at least the thinking of the Government of the day, well, dream on.

Petitions, lobbying, general publicity, writing letters, blogging or whatever are mechanisms for democratic debate. We should be glad they are there for us and "failure" to get our own way is not a failure of the system. After all what would a Government do with say two petitions one for and one against something. It's part of the process, not part of the only answer.

Legolas 19:11 03 Jul 07

I agree with the FE. There will be the odd occasion when an e-petition hits the spot and influences the Government but no government of whatever flavour can take notice of every petition, electronic or otherwise, if they did I think chaos would ensue, a sort of government by petition.

Totally-braindead 19:18 03 Jul 07

The road pricing petition got a lot of votes and subsequently a lot of publicity and that was a good thing.
My petition didn't do much but I got less than 10,000 signatures.
Made me famous for a day though - sort of.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5