Doves & Pigeons

morddwyd 21:33 PM 16 Jun 13

Like many, we have a local population of Wood Pigeons and Eastern Collared Doves.

At this time of the year they are very vocal and their calls are quite similar, but distinctive.

Why is it that I simply hear, but don’t really notice, the Wood Pigeon, but the Eastern Collared Dove grates on my senses so much that I have to close the window, turn the TV up or even, when it’s on the chimney, go outside and chase it away?

The only explanation I can think of is that I was brought up with the Wood Pigeon, but the Dove, being a recent interloper (didn't arrive in the UK until the 50s), is still actually a non-native species to my sub-conscious, and therefore intrudes.

Aitchbee 22:36 PM 16 Jun 13

Sir David Attenborough's 'tweet-of-the-day' on Radio4 was beginning to get on my nerves as well. Thankfully, Auntie Beeb has 'saved the day' by using other human voices [as well] to introduce and describe the early morning bird songs.

bumpkin 23:29 PM 16 Jun 13

nice one flak

Quickbeam 07:58 AM 17 Jun 13

This is a very good solution, I've tried it myself with great success.

morddwyd 08:02 AM 17 Jun 13

You misread my post.

It's the doves I have a problem with, not the pigeons!

I prefer them simply roasted, with a green salad and fresh crusty bread.

Quickbeam 08:05 AM 17 Jun 13

The recipe works just fine with pigeon, dove, quail, grouse, pheasant etc. It all just depends which bird is giving you the most bird at the time:)

morddwyd 23:02 PM 17 Jun 13

I'm sure it does, but they really are not very good eating - somewhat bitter and can carry too much fat.

lotvic 00:56 AM 18 Jun 13

"..when it’s on the chimney, go outside and chase it away"

It's not just me then that can't stand the noise they make. Last year I got a catapult, but my aims not very good. Any tips on what to use for ammo? I've been using paper pellets.

Aitchbee 13:14 PM 24 Jun 13

The monotonous 'triple coo' of the eastern collared dove is notorious for annoying makers of period dramas by appearing on their soundtracks.If you do hear one in a production of 'Pride 'n' Prejudice' or 'David Copperfield' or similar, give yourself a pat-on-the-back for spotting it. [As morddwyd said, they only arrived in Britain in the 1950's].

lotvic ... have you tried poisoned blow-darts? ;o]

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Android apps 2015/2016: Best apps for your new phone or tablet - what apps should I download?

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Uniqlo uses your brain waves to find your perfect T-shirt

What everyone thinks of the new Steve Jobs movie | 21 Facts about the Steve Jobs film | PLUS:…