Don't MS Know what SVG is Yet?

Pesala 21:01 27 Feb 08

Try this link to an SVG image in Internet Explorer: ( I have IE7 installed) click here

I got a dialogue offering to find a program to open this file type for me. However, Microsoft were unable to find any such program.

"Windows has the following information about this file type. This page will help you find software needed to open your file.

File Type: Unknown
Description: Windows does not recognize this file type."

Do they really not know what a SVG file is yet?

I am sure Firefox and Opera could both suggest some programs to open SVG files.

Kemistri 21:24 27 Feb 08

It must have some idea, because they render when displayed as an object in a page.

Pesala 21:32 27 Feb 08

Is the page coded badly? What do you mean by displaying a SVG as an object on a page?

Why should it behave differently to any other image file type?

Kemistri 21:38 27 Feb 08

When an SVG file is loaded as an object in a webpage - just like any other image file - IE displays it correctly. click here for example.

Pesala 21:47 27 Feb 08

That file has an XML extension, not SVG.

This page click here says that IE doesn't support SVG natively, and requires a plugin.

Kemistri 21:49 27 Feb 08

No, it has an SVG extension!!! Where are you looking? Are you thinking that the page title (in the URL) is a suffix?! WP article pages don't have suffixes anyway, because they're dynamically generated.

Kemistri 21:52 27 Feb 08

Look, here's the location on Commons that holds the SVG file from that example article - click here. That displays just fine in IE7 unless you attempt to view the file directly.

The preview image in that link has comes from the following location and has a .png extension:

http : // upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/68/XML.svg/275px-XML.svg.png

click here

When paste that link into IE it requires Quicktime to load it. If I click the image in your original link and go to the actual .svg file it fails to load however and gives me the option to save etc.

Kemistri 00:54 28 Feb 08

No, it does not. I think I know my way around Commons. Click on the image as it is displayed on its holding page and you get the SVG version: http :// upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/68/XML.svg That's an SVG and it displays correctly in IE *provided* it is loaded as any other object on a webpage. It only present a problem if someone tries to view it separately, as Pesala found.

This is well known to anyone who contributes regularly to WP and/or Commons and we would not use SVGs if they could not be displayed within a page in IE7. The fact that IE7 users cannot easily open or download the image file itself is a fairly minor issue. It would be nice to be able to sort that, but that's up to Microsoft.

Pesala 08:50 28 Feb 08

My main point as about the message on the MS site saying that the file type was unknown and that “Windows does not recognize this file type.”

click here

That is misinformation, as MS clearly do know what a SVG file is and they do know that there are some programs that can open them directly.

A link on that very page to Windows Market Place offers a choice of several free programs, including Adobe SVG viewer and IrfanView.

However, it does not include Opera and Firefox, either of which would be more convenient for the user who came to that page after failing to load a SVG file in their browser.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…