Dont immediately pay your parking tickets

ajm 11:24 24 Aug 06

until you have looked carefully at your parking ticket(s). I have had one of my parking tickets cancelled as i had evidence that I parked correctly in my road. However the Council will not accept my reasons and the fine went from £40-120. I came across click here and from there I came across useful information:
The *LAW* says that they MUST have the time and date of the CONTRAVENTION ***AND*** they *must* also have the date of issue.
If your ticket does not have those 2 dates (even though both dates will most likely be the same) as well as the time of the contravention, then ***The Ticket is LEGALLY DEFECTIVE and you should not have to pay the fine***
Write to the ticket issuer citing the requirements of S66 RTA 1991 (as ammended). The Law of the country says that a ticket has to have those 2 dates, else it's not a valid PCN. Refer them to recent case law Moses-V-Barnet
Tell your friends about this. Keep your money in your pockets.
click here for all motoring and parking relates issues.

Al94 12:33 24 Aug 06

or don't park where you shouldn't?

ajm 13:55 24 Aug 06

"or don't park where you shouldn't?" I was parked correctly on the same road as I have been over the past 4 years. This time some overzealous parking attendant gave a ticket. I fought the case on the prionciple that the contravention did not occur. The council did not accept my reasons. In the meantine, I came across the website above and information as to the parking ticket being invalid came up. As soon as I mentioned this to the council and PATAS, the council said that the matter is now closed as there was an "error" in issuing the tickets.
The councils should also abide by laws, not just the public

ajm 13:58 24 Aug 06

The Council had dismissed challenges & appeals from me when there was overwhelming evidence that the Council will lose at the Parking and Traffic Appeals stage. In such cases inferences can be drawn that the Council is automatically refusing to
accept appeals regardless of the content and are gambling the innocent and uninformed motorist will pay the discounted penalty instead of pushing the appeal further.
In the same way that theere exists laws to help the consumer and retailer, there are laws that the motorists or enforcers should follow and abide.

Pamy 13:59 24 Aug 06

But , if the ticket had been made out correctly, would you have been in the wrong for parking where you had?

GANDALF <|:-)> 14:05 24 Aug 06

Councils and Plod always go on about how one has to adhere to the letter of the law. If they are incorrect in their use and implementation of current laws, in any way, then you have to challenge them...and usually win.

We live in a 'free' society where many people fought for the right to challenge anything that they feel is/was incorrect. I have had 2 parking tickets where the council refused to accept my polite expalnation that they were totally wrong and slightly bonkers. Both cost the councuil tax payers a lot of money as they were contested strongly by my solicitors whose bills (paid for by the council) were eye-wateringly humungous.

G

ajm 14:51 24 Aug 06

"But , if the ticket had been made out correctly, would you have been in the wrong for parking where you had?" As I said earlier, I wrote to the council explaining that the contravention did not occur in the sense that they said that my car was not in a marked parking bay. That road DOES NOT have parking bays. I told the council that: they would not accept or listen and pushed the fines from £40 to £80 and then £120.00. I was prepared to take it all the was to PATAS wirh photos and witnesses.
It was by good chance that I came across the webiste and saw that the tickets were issued incorrectly. Having nothijng to loose, I wrote to PATAS giving my orignal explanation as to why the contravention did not occur and also said that the ticket was invalid and unenforceable. That was when the council dropped the matter.
Asa result of this, I am in the process of asking the council in providing me with copies of all past parking tickets issued with the intention of claiming the money back because they took it under threat and also did not confirm to the rules as set by the RTA....

Pamy 15:48 24 Aug 06

Asa result of this, I am in the process of asking the council in providing me with copies of all past parking tickets issued with the intention of claiming the money back because they took it under threat and also did not confirm to the rules as set by the RTA....

So, are you doing this for youself(other parking fines) or for you neighbors (can't spell). If you are not illegally parking then I admire you efforts.

Al94 15:49 24 Aug 06

Looks like you make a habit of this ajm!!

g0slp 15:53 24 Aug 06
  GANDALF <|:-)> 16:00 24 Aug 06

click here this helps clarify the law s that you and Plod are reading from the same hymn sheet.

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…