Don't cook your PC!

Sir Radfordin 20:44 17 Jun 06

A word of warning, though am sure you won't need it...! If pushing your PC during this hot weather you might want to keep an eye on the temp. Have just watched my CPU temp rise to 80c as I rip a film clip. Don't know if I trust the Asus Probe monitor too much but this was a good 6 or 7 degree rise on what it was reporting earlier!

octal 20:51 17 Jun 06

80cº is too hot, I would suspect the temp probe is telling fibs, the CPU would have shut down before that ;-)

VoG II 21:55 17 Jun 06

Must be an Athlon!

Input Overload 22:27 17 Jun 06

Mine is hovering around 36°C (97 °F.

Totally-braindead 22:35 17 Jun 06

Sir Radfordin there is something far wrong if you're getting that sort of temperature. At the hottest period of last year my Athlon 2500+ reached 60 degrees and that was when playing a very graphics intensive game. I would double check the temperature with the BIOS temperature and see what it says. If it goes any higher it could blow.

SANTOS7 22:57 17 Jun 06

click here
60° not so high, athlon processors will run into the 80s

Forum Editor 22:58 17 Jun 06

it will come to no harm - as the temperature rises the processor will automatically run at a slower speed. As the temperature falls things will return to normal.

Keep in mind that the onboard temperature measurement facilities are often inaccurate and may report temperatures that are too low. This is especially the case with motherboards that use a thermal sensor below the CPU to "guess" the CPU temperature. The temperature values displayed by the BIOS usually have a correction value added to compensate for this problem - but in some cases this correction value may be too low, or the sensor might not be in good contact with the CPU.

In broad terms Athlon XP 2200+ and faster processors shouldn't exceed 85 degrees.

wolfie3000 01:51 18 Jun 06

My pc shut down twice on me this summer due to playing halo online because it got a little to warm for it lol.

I guess playing halo for 5 hours straight isnt advisable in this weather,

But i have taken some precautions by removing the case and having custom fans fitted to it.

Forum Editor 09:37 18 Jun 06

can actually make the problem worse. The case fans are more efficient at pulling a current of cooling air over the components when the case is closed.

In extreme situations I have seen someone remove the case side and direct a hair dryer (running cold) onto the components, but that shouldn't be necessary.

I go to some fairly warm places to work, and I don't see people with the case sides off their machines. In Singapore it gets extremely warm, but nobody seems to have a problem. Admittedly, all offices and most homes are air-conditioned, but even so........

wolfie3000 02:08 19 Jun 06

I took your advise FE and recased my pc also looking into other ways of cooling my pc as well.

Sir Radfordin 17:56 21 Jun 06

It is indeed an AMD chip - 1600+ and is now running at a much happier 64c so hopefully we'll be safe for a bit!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Xiaomi Mi5s review: The Xiaomi flagship that could replace your Samsung, LG, HTC or Apple phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Mental Canvas is a brand new drawing app that's quite unlike any other

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's super-expensive new…