domimina nustio illumea

Mr Mistoffelees 20:18 28 Feb 05

I know this is off topic, but can anyone translate the title of this thread? I have tried, vainly, to find the answer elsewhere.

Giant68 20:30 28 Feb 05

"Our Master of Light"

or something similar, I think.

Giant68

bobbybowls 22:21 28 Feb 05

try this
click here
the lord is our light?

PurplePenny 22:45 28 Feb 05

It's supposed to be the motto of Jesus College, Oxford but I can't find any reference to it on their web site. I'll try to remember to have a look at work (an Oxford Univ. library!) tomorrow. We've got a latin expert at work too.

stalion 22:51 28 Feb 05

et tu brute (translation shredded wheat)

Buchan 35 23:03 28 Feb 05

If I remember right Giant68 is close. My old memory can`t help any further

Forum Editor 23:39 28 Feb 05

the motto of Oxford University (Not Jesus college particularly) is:-

'Dominus Illuminatio Mea' - the opening words of Psalm 27 - and the best translation is:-

'The Lord is my light'

beeuuem 23:45 28 Feb 05

The legend had various forms but the present one, Dominus Illuminatio Mea (the opening words of Psalm 27, which may be translated as 'the Lord is my light' click here

Mr Mistoffelees 07:27 01 Mar 05

The quote above actually comes from the shield shown on the cover of the Oxford Concise English Dictionary.

Thank-you all for trying to improve my, now slightly less, minimal Latin.

PurplePenny 15:30 01 Mar 05

Mr Mistoffelees - you had me foxed there! The arms shown on the OED are the Oxford University arms but the motto that you quoted isn't the OU motto.

So I had a look (I'm surrounded by examples of the OU arms!) and the riddle is quite easily solved! The OU motto (as FE pointed out) is "Dominus Illuminatio Mea" but it is written on two pages. You've read across the open book but the words are written down one page, then down the facing page, so in fact the OED logo reads "Dominus Illuminatio Mea" not "domimina nustio illumea"!

Page 1:

Domi

nus

illu

Page 2:

mina

tio

mea

Mr Mistoffelees 18:44 01 Mar 05

Thank-you PurplePenny for finally clearing that up. Search on google and you will see that many seem to have made the same mistake as me. I should go out to the shed and find my thinking head!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…