dog questions

sunnystaines 23:20 16 Mar 10

we are thinking about a dog and have many questions to sort out first anyone recommend a dog forum.

most important how to to teach a dog not to wee or dump indoors between walks.

[thinking about a bulldog not the squashed ones but the old style victorian bulldog with longer legs and a face with far less wrinkled skin]

welcome any dog keeping tips [doing homework first before we make up our minds].

james55 23:43 16 Mar 10

It takes a lot of patience to teach a pup where to take a wee & a dump.
Remember a dog is for life and not just a whim.
My dog is 14 years old and little indiscretions are starting to happen so be prepared in the years to come for that.
In the plus side their loyalty is well worth it.

Jim.

Forum Editor 00:28 17 Mar 10

click here

It's American, but a dog is a dog, and it's an excellent site.

As for which dog is right for you....

click here

Don't forget about the Dogs' Home at Battersea - they'll offer you some of the best advice going, and if you decide on one of their dogs you'll be doing a good deed into the bargain. As a first time dog owner you might find a mongrel easier and hardier than many pedigree or cross-bred dogs.

lotvic 01:02 17 Mar 10

I would suggest 'borrowing' a dog for a few weeks - maybe dogsit for someone going on holiday?
So you get a taster of things to come, walks, cleanups, smell, hair all over the place, stuff chewed up, shampooing and grooming, regular worming etc.

Yes, I have had dogs in the past and loved them too.

User-1229748 02:41 17 Mar 10

i'd had a few dogs over the years but since having a full pedigree staffordshire bull terrier i wouldn't buy any other

wiz-king 06:00 17 Mar 10

Go to a pet shop and look at the plastic dog beds, the almost biggest size, thats how much space it will need indoors. Think about your garden, you will need to dog-proof it and also think about a outdoor kennel - dogs that spend a lot of time outdoors in the first year of their life don't shed hair as much as those who live in.
Puppy training can be a bit fraught, we have been lucky with our dogs (border collies) and they have been very clean indoors and a large newspaper by the back door has only been used a few times. But, they go out in the garden as soon as I get up in the morning for a wee and they are out for a walk about half hour later, they also go out straight after they have had their meal in the evening. If you give the main meal after you have had yours you can get rid of any leftovers!
Enjoy.

Quickbeam 07:05 17 Mar 10

Put the puppy outside after every drink, feed, snooze, stretch, play.

Evertime they look like wanting to go, everytime they don't look like they want to go.

Every 30 minutes or so that you're around the house doing things.

If they don't do anything, tickle their underside around where their is no hair... then they'll go:)

You get the idea, they soon cotton on where to go go, within days.

sunnystaines 10:14 17 Mar 10

Forum Editor

good links...thanks

fourm member

looks like a handy contact, but not too local.

we have looked after dogs for people in the past during their holidays so have a little knowledge on control[most of them were untrained, which is why we want to get it right] but not much else, thinking of a dog refuge to by pass the puppy stage too a possible option, do not know what dealers are battery bred dogs and which are respectable for this breed.

keep any useful tips/links coming please.

Quickbeam 10:42 17 Mar 10

Wean your dog onto dried food as early as possible. The abrasive action of the dried food replicates the scrubbing action of eating bones in the wild in keeping smelly plaque from building up. I've never had to clean any of my dogs teeth for 20 years.

Adding your own leftovers makes it more interesting, and a house with a dog should throw no food away at all. Get a young dog used to eating veg and they'll lap it up.

My Cocker bitch gets through a kilo of carrots a week, she crunches them whole like a bone, one for breakfast and one for supper!

BRYNIT 11:02 17 Mar 10

Not having a dog I did a little search. I think you are talking about Bullmastiff and found a little information that may help click here

Quickbeam 11:08 17 Mar 10

Bulldog to Bullmastiff is a is about 10X bigger in size!

And a Bullmastiff doesn't eat leftovers either... it eats your full share;)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now